Phase Linear D-500 LED meter face-plate chemical corrosion damage. Is a fix possible?

Quickcarl

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hi All, hope everyone is doing well.. I am back at tearing down another D-500, after making a few changes and listening to it for a while, the sound seems about right.
Now I am now concentrating on the looks of the amp. My first issue, is what to do about the meter face-plate corrosion, from what looks like a chemical spill.
I don't really know what happened, I received the amp with the damage already done. I am assuming is some cleaner that just ate into the anodized aluminum. (See attached picture) What you guys think?
D-500 faceplate damage.jpg

Quickcarl

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Nothings ever easy, is it? Have to stop and shop at some of the silkscreen shops in town tomorrow. I was thinking about laser etching also. Most likely more expensive.
To bad I'm retired, we had all these shops out there on the base.

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
. On my cars trim, I've had some luck with those Mr. Clean 'Majic Eraser' sponges. Might be worth a try.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Nothings ever easy, is it? Have to stop and shop at some of the silkscreen shops in town tomorrow. I was thinking about laser etching also. Most likely more expensive.
To bad I'm retired, we had all these shops out there on the base.
Don't pay any attention to the mr. eraser comments.... Won't work on AFU anodized parts. it may work on his plastic sears stereo but not on the real stuff.
I took one of my face plates down and had it blasted and powder coated, then laser etched. Turned out pretty good. Stripping and re anodizing is expensive

Quickcarl

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
You guys make me laugh.. Be cool and thanks for the excellent ideas.

As it turns out I do have a new face plate for this D-500.

But the problem is that plate or sheet metal behind the main face-plate has the pitting issue. Just for laughs I mixed some paint (about 4 colors to get the exact color and tint) and dabbed it into the pitted metal and it turned out OK, on about the 3rd try. Up close it looks like crap, but from a few feet away it looks real good. So I will run with that until I can find another secondary face-plate (for lack of a better name). I wonder if one out of a 700 or a 400 series II will fit???? What you guys think??

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Quickcarl,

The sub-front panel from a 700 series II amplifier should work with a D-500. You would have to do some modifications to a 400 series II sub-front panel to get it to work with a D-500. NOTE: The Phase Linear part numbers for a D-500 sub-front panel are not exactly the same as a 700 sub-front panel.

Quickcarl

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Ah-ha that is good news. Now I will have to get looking.
There is a 700 series on Ebay now for 250.00 , parts or repair.
If I were to buy that amp, I would most likely try to fix it and not actually use it for parts. So the best I could do is just keep looking.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Sorry that I had not seen your interest in that amp before I bought it. As far as your need for a plate I am going to make some back plates in the new year in black so may have a good OEM one for you then.

Quickcarl

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
No problemo, it was in such good shape it would be a shame for me to just buy it and gut it for parts. Actually I wanted one of you guys, who restores the 700's to get it. It did seem like a good price. But, please keep me in mind if you have a spare back plate. Also what do the black back plates look like?? (you got any pictures ??) I would like to do a blacked out D-500 for a project very soon.