Phase Linear 700B with Black Rack handles??

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
I saw this Pl 700B amp on ebay the other day and was curious on how many were offered with
Black Handles and Black Knobs ?
It looks like a nice one but is this as rare as the seller says it is ? He claims its the real deal came this way from Bob:happy2:
One of only two he has ever seen.
Thanks guys,
Jm

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
It looks cool, I don't think black rack handles and knobs add to the value though

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Got some spray paint? I can make you a few more :D

I like it, but I would question the authenticity of the thing. It would have been much too easy for someone to have painted them or replace them in the past. Magical stories of rare gear are often what you think, BS.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Got some spray paint? I can make you a few more :D

I like it, but I would question the authenticity of the thing. It would have been much too easy for someone to have painted them or replace them in the past. Magical stories of rare gear are often what you think, BS.
Gadjet, thats is the whole question man. I get the spray bomb deal. These are anodized black.
I believe its bogus also: never seen them before. Thats why I'm asking.
Cheers

Northwinds

Tagline
Gadjet, thats is the whole question man. I get the spray bomb deal. These are anodized black.
Cheers
Yeah, I saw they were black anodized immediately, no spray paint and it would not stay on if it was. The fact that the knobs have the white stop marks on them makes me wonder what they came off because they are definitely correct style for the amp and well made. I like how it looks, more menacing

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Cheers
Easy to get the anodizing done, just spend some bucks with the local plating shop. Then white dot the dimple with white paint after the black anodize treatment.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Easy to get the anodizing done, just spend some bucks with the local plating shop. Then white dot the dimple with white paint after the black anodize treatment.
Hello Joe. I think there is a misunderstanding in what I was trying to ask.In my first post, I was asking if the black anodized
handles and knobs were offered from the factory on PL700b's.
The one unit I saw on Ebay had them and the guy claimed they were the real deal from BoB.
And i said , I think the unit is bogus, meaning it did not come that way. I understand anodizing, been doing it for years
on street rods.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hello Joe. I think there is a misunderstanding in what I was trying to ask.In my first post, I was asking if the black anodized
handles and knobs were offered from the factory on PL700b's.
The one unit I saw on Ebay had them and the guy claimed they were the real deal from BoB.
And i said , I think the unit is bogus, meaning it did not come that way. I understand anodizing, been doing it for years
street rods.
I cannot say for sure but I would tend to agree that this was aftermarket, not stock. As Dennis Miller says "that's just my opinion man, I could be wrong" :)

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Phase Linear 700B with Black Rack Handles

Phase Linear did make some 700B's with black rack handles. They were never put into commercial production
The web site Dean and I shared until October 2008 had a photo of a 700B made for Dennis S. (The Motorola rep).
If my memroy serves me correct the amplifier had the Nestorovic modifications.

The first photo is of his amplifier.
Thanks to Dean Nissen for the photo and history.

Additionally another former employee has several in his collection. I will post some photos of his amplifiers as well.

Attachments

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman

Here is a photo of (2) more black 700B's owned by a former employee.
I do not know if these amplifiers also have the Nestorovic mods.

Ed

Attachments

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman

I just noticed that the last (2) photos I submitted show amplifiers that were perhaps made when Phase Linear was transitioning from "Seven Hundred Watts RMS" to "Laboratory Standard Amplifier" on the front panels in 1974. By the way, the change in the verbiage was a result of the "FTC Trade Regulation Rule On Amplifier Power-Output Specifications" more commonly known as the "FTC Amplifier Rule". It was originally published May 3, 1974 and became effective on November 4, 1974. NOTE: This document has since been revised.

If anyone is interested there are some interesting stories to be told about the effect that this FTC document had on Phase Linear and the amplifier manufacturers as a whole in 1974.

Attachments

BubbaH

Tagline
---
If anyone is interested there are some interesting stories to be told about the effect that this FTC document had on Phase Linear and the amplifier manufacturers as a whole in 1974.
Definitely interested.

Man those black PL's sure look killer.

Northwinds

Tagline
Great stuff Ed! Thanks for digging it out. I prefer the silver look but the black looks mighty menacing

Could you explain what the Nestorovic mods are? I am not familiar with the term

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Interesting info. Were the black face units custom jobs from the factory for certain folks only then? I'm just curious why they were never offered that way from the factory. Oddly enough, it makes them look about 10 years newer than they actually are. I like it personally.