Phase Linear 400B....?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well, pretty crowded in there. It also has a DC protect relay that was used in the D500's....quite the custom job. Should be worth more than a standard 400 do a die hard collector...

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
That's a series 2 top plate with all the graphic lettering on it, so that rules out that it's a early prototype. Early 4 fin series 1 heat sinks with what looks like a later series 1 transformer with the cast cradle. It's a Frankenamp as others have stated about some of the custom creations that show up occasionally. The sticker on the capacitor "Chuck", perhaps the builder.

George S.

Oh yeah, it's cool and all. But this one doesn't look like it's a product that came out of the PL "labs". Has parts from the first 400s to the final D500s. Looks like a real 700B face plate cut down and a custom 400B insert. VERY cool none the less. So, what to do with it? Keep it as is as a curiosity, or WOPL it? Perhaps a potential fire hazard as is. I don't know. Get it checked out and enjoy it as is I guess. Thanks for sharing it! A very cool custom.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
If it were in my collection I would not WOPL it. The value is in it's uniqueness. Clean it up inside and out. Replace the power supply capacitors. Convert illumination from bulbs to LEDs. Trouble shoot any problems if they show up. Then go buy a 700 to WOPL. :)

George S.

If it were in my collection I would not WOPL it. The value is in it's uniqueness. Clean it up inside and out. Replace the power supply capacitors. Convert illumination from bulbs to LEDs. Trouble shoot any problems if they show up. Then go buy a 700 to WOPL. :)
Perfect. Yup. It's value is in its uniqueness. Hope it's a "runner".

ALLENWERK

New Around These Parts
You guys rock! Thanks for all the insight and suggestions. I really appreciate it, so glad this place exists! I powered it on with a dim bulb, and all is good so we put it in the living room, fired up some Huey Lewis & The News and It’s totally a runner! I like the idea of keeping it as original as I can and just do some basics. Sounds like it has quite a story, wish I knew more about this Chuck guy, he built a sweet 400B and I’m happy to have it in the collection.
Cheers

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Just asked my hifi guru for this amp.
He saw one unit ( a sample for importer and retailers )
It was designed after PL 400 and the idea was to use it in case
of bi amping in order to have the same front panel design .
Now I wait the check with Ed to have a confirmation .
Ciao
Marco

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The early jeepneys were cobbled together from the Willys Jeeps left behind by the US after WW2. You see some wild ones on the roads over there.

Guess we crapped up this thread pretty good :)

ALLENWERK

New Around These Parts
The early jeepneys were cobbled together from the Willys Jeeps left behind by the US after WW2. You see some wild ones on the roads over there.

Guess we crapped up this thread pretty good :)
Not at all! I work in the parts department at a Nissan and VW Dealership and geek out on car stuff all day. I dabble in photoshop and made this unimog jeep monstrosity a while back.

Attachments

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Just asked my hifi guru for this amp.
He saw one unit ( a sample for importer and retailers )
It was designed after PL 400 and the idea was to use it in case
of bi amping in order to have the same front panel design .
Now I wait the check with Ed to have a confirmation .
Ciao
Marco
Now that makes sense for biamping. Pretty cool, I would buy one