phase linear 400

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
i sure hope today is the day....maybe...just maybe...my parts will trickle in...
i need to ask a question....
if my TRANSISTORS come in today...should i populate one row at a time and test...
or just test the transistors and populate the board....
i have installed one channel with the new sil pads after cleaning up the white goop everywhere....
or does it really make any difference....as i recall...i was advised when i populated one row and tested that the driver board was good...
all components have been previously tested....one by one...
after each time....i recheck the bias transistors....i was warned they were very fragile and deadly if they fail....or leads are broken...
how should i do this...
i am still searching for a 400 to wopl....any help would be appreciated....
got my eyes on one...but, it is a 4 fin...
i dont see why my metal guy could not bend extra fins to mount to the 4 fin???
does not look that difficult...thats how carver did it...
hope y'all have a prosperous day....
take care
It is not about the extra fins Gene, it is about the box of chocolates you will find inside a 4 fin compared to an 8 fin. 8 fins are consistent, unless the PO mucked with it.

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
but, i can upgrade my 4 fin to a wopl....right??
i am sure you said you have kits for all now....
i really want to keep one stock....but, if i have trouble, i want to know i can gut it and upgrade...
i already have the ps cap upgrade, the led upgrade, and the watts dcp board....
i really want two...a "safe" stock...and a kick a** 400....bulletproof....
i really dont push them hard....the sx is kept at half volume...it can punch out 110 db easily...
the 200 has the chinese preamp set at about 60% power to match the sx....so when i switch you really cant tell the difference...
the sx is a bit boomier...
neither get hot...but, they do warm up....do you recommend a fan??
sniff put a link to a nice looking one...i have it noted somewhere....lol
and about populating the output TRANSISTORS???
thank you, mr. joe!!!
i appreciate you loaning me your expertise!!!

George S.

Gene, just finished listening to Dire Straights Brother in Arms entire digital file CRANKED LOUD! Hottest part of the full WOPL 400 Series 2 amp is the transformer, followed by the chassis vents. The heat sinks are just slightly warm . I believe those big fins are pure marketing gimmick or perhaps needed in a tight/closed rack environment. Put some Budwig feet under it when you build it, sit it in the open on a shelf, even stack it in a open area, and I believe a 4 fin will crank all day LOUD with just warm fins and no thermal issues.

George S.

No fans needed or wanted on my WOPLs. Running 8 ohm JBL Millenniums on my 400 S2, 4 ohm Dayton Audio Utimax stereo subs on my 700 Pro(what a waste, a 400 was overkill), 8 ohm Pioneer CS-99 on my 400 S1.
Everything runs just warm at excruciating sound pressures. All output transistors have the original covers.

gene french

Tagline
No fans needed or wanted on my WOPLs. Running 8 ohm JBL Millenniums on my 400 S2, 4 ohm Dayton Audio Utimax stereo subs on my 700 Pro(what a waste, a 400 was overkill), 8 ohm Pioneer CS-99 on my 400 S1.
Everything runs just warm at excruciating sound pressures. All output transistors have the original covers.
thank you!!!
that helps...
i was a bit concerned...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It is not about the extra fins Gene, it is about the box of chocolates you will find inside a 4 fin compared to an 8 fin. 8 fins are consistent, unless the PO mucked with it.

There are so many fish in the sea...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The Sniff may get pissed if we keep on fucking with him. lol. Naw this is what I would like to do. PM laatsch55 (Lee) and send him 40.00 50.00 bucks whatever you think its worth and I will ship it to you. If you have already sent me a PM with your address we are golden brother.
I can dish it and take it, don't worry about me. :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
below is a week old list of computer hacks that have nearly shut down the country...many are effected...another company, aeropost, was hacked also and my c/c was on file...nairobi kenya was johnny on the spot....5 fraudulent charges...

As of Sunday, eight public institutions have suffered cyber attacks:

• Ministry of Finance, hacienda.go.cr.
  • Ministry of Science, Innovation, Technology and Telecommunications, micitt.go.cr.
  • Costa Rican Radiographic, racsa.go.cr , an institution in charge of the managing of telecommunications frequencies.
  • National Meteorological Institute, imn.ac.cr.
  • Social Security, ccss.sa.cr.
  • Ministry of Labor, mtss.go.cr.
  • Social Aid Development Fund, fodesaf.go.cr.
  • And this weekend, the Administrative Board of the Electrical Service of Cartago Province, Jasec, jasec.go.cr.
That's what has been keeping me busy...... I would have hit more places but I type with one finger.

As for your little green finches, one in the hand is like two in your bush!!! :)

gene french

Tagline
hope somebody is around....
got in the new TRANSISTOR outputs....
both channels checked good on dvm and installed....
both bias transistors heat sinked to the back wall tested fine in circuit....
using dbt....worked as expected....bright to dim...
offset showed very close to zero at the speaker connections....maybe .0001....both sides...dont think that is right...too perfect...
checked bias on left side...facing front....adjusted to 350mv
checked bias on right side...facing the front....would not adjust below 410 ....all the way to the limit of the pot
adjusting the pot does not really make any difference....
before...i had one row across the bottom and bias and all set just fine....
no sound out....
i cant see the dcp engage nor disengage....
facing front the existing 909s are on the right....with the replacement 909s on the left....
whats holding the dcp down????

Attachments

gene french

Tagline
from the front....left...one closest to the transformer...
that side now has the replacements....
the remaining transistors from the explosion that tested good are on the right side if you are facing the front of the amp looking to the back...

gene french

Tagline
sorry....that may not be true....i really dont remember which side it was....
i removed all outputs....tested and repopulated the 4 drivers and one row above the drivers...
then checked the bias and the offset...just to prove they driver board was not damaged....
when i repopulated the outputs i put the original bunch on the right channel and the replacements in the left channel nearest the transformer....
bias on the right channel away from the transformer is the side that doesnt adjust...
and i am sure the dc protect board is not engaging...i think that is a good thing...lol
again...thank you

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
sorry....that may not be true....i really dont remember which side it was....
i removed all outputs....tested and repopulated the 4 drivers and one row above the drivers...
then checked the bias and the offset...just to prove they driver board was not damaged....
when i repopulated the outputs i put the original bunch on the right channel and the replacements in the left channel nearest the transformer....
bias on the right channel away from the transformer is the side that doesnt adjust...
and i am sure the dc protect board is not engaging...i think that is a good thing...lol
again...thank you
Me thinks you may have a walking wounded on the right channel

gene french

Tagline
i removed all of the outputs on the right side....
all test good....
can i repopulate one row at a time to see if the dcprotect functions???
with the left side fully populated....
or do i need to remove left side and go up row by row...
how would you check from here....
thanks joe