Phase Linear 400 Series Two New Black Lasered Faceplate

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Shut their shit down and give them Prep H.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Wouldn't this be a breech of contract type thing? Especially when you supplied the original and asked him not to reproduce it and he agreed? Even a "gentleman's agreement" which is basically a handshake is binding. People are only as good as their word.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ed has never seen or heard of a Clair 400. There is no list of Clair serial numbers.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
We should have documented all the Aerosmith serial numbers also. It's nice to know that these old warhorses get a second chance at life and are born better then when they were first made

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Let me start out with a little bit of history here so people that are posting with no idea may have a better clue of what's going on.
I had started out with making Marantz faceplates and nothing else for my own personal collection. All my Marantz faceplates have been made from copies of my own personal units. I had no plans but to make only Marantz faceplates but was contacted so many times for different units like Phase Linear but I just told everyone know. But after looking at a few of the PL amps they intrigued me with the big meters, they reminded me of some of the Marantz units. So I had purchased a phase linear 400 and a phase linear 700B then I had contacted a few people that were contacting me about these models and told them that I would be making these 2 models once again using my own original faceplates.
Once again I received lots of request to do others but did not have the units.
Perry had contacted me wanting a certain model done that I did not have I agreed to do that modeled for him and him only but I would need his face plate to scan and reproduce.
Perry's phase linear series 2 plate consist of square corners and inconsistent drilled holes and overall thickness around .190 inches.
He did not want to pay the price for plates .190 think because of the cost because he said that they were mainly for resale and did not want to spend the extra money for the thicker plates so his plates were made from .125 material which were less expensive.
After Perry had received his plates and posted some wherever he did I received quite a few messages people wanting that plate. I had given everyone his information to contact him letting them know that those plates were made for him and him only.
Sometime after I was contacted by another gentleman from the forms.
He also wanted phase linear plates that I did not have a unit for 700 series 2 and 500 I had told him that I have already made someone else 700 series 2 plates but he had informed me that his were different. Once he sent me a picture of one showing they had rounded corners I assume they were from a different year.
These plates had rounded corners and for all I know meter cut outs could've been different sizes bolt holes could've been different sizes of the outer dimension plates could've been different.
So at that time I had decided that these plates are different from what Perry's were.
I explained to the gentleman if he would like me to make these I would need his originals to scan for exact measurements. His bolt holes where different in size his corners were round his meter cut outs are actually a little different in size also, his plates were made from .190 think material also.
In a manufacturing aspect his plates were much different than Perry's.
Once again I did not use any information from Perry's plate to manufacture the other phase linear 700 series 2 plates for this gentleman.
Recently I had a large plate order going in a gentleman had contacted me about a phase linear 400 series 2 Silver plate and black screen print that says Clair Bros on it.
I told the gentlemen I had some room left on my material for six plates but I did not have that model and I had not made that model for anyone so I could make it for him but I would need the original to scan.
He sent me the plate we scanned it laser cut them out just so happen there happened to be enough room for 8 of them, so we cut out a total of 8 but he did not want the 2 extra just wanted 6 for personal collection. He told me I could do whatever I wanted with the other 2
I explained to him that I would be selling them and he had no problem with that.
What I have done for Perry the plates I had made for him I have only made for him. I've only used his scanned original plates for him and him only !!!
Perry does not have the power over me to tell me who I can make and can't make plates for when someone sends me something that is different than his plate and any other's that I had promised the same thing not to reproduce their exact plate. I'll make any damn plate with any damn saying on the plate that I feel free to make!!! That I had not made for someone else. Thanks Tony
P.S.
As to my eBay reply to his messages I had no idea who he was.
I tried to reply to all my eBay messages I get between 30 and 50 a day.
So my messages is what my message was.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Tony, are you doing another 700B run? I mentioned before that people were asking if any will available

I'd like to know who wants the Clair 400 plates made, that sounds fishy as that none are known to exist. I wonder if it's the guy that bought Perry's 400s???

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You are such a bonehead that you think that's this was about me cornering the market on faceplates. You can't understand in that tiny brain that this was about making and passing counterfeit amps. And, your memory ain't working so well. Go back and read our conversation about the plates. I didn't order thin plates because I couldn't Afford it.... go back and read. I suggest you turn away anybody wanting Clair plates in the future.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Here, Maybe this will jog your lame ass memory. Does this sound like I couldn't Afford them? No, it shows that Clair plates were thinner.

Dated Dec 4 2015 from TMZ2

I received the plate today I do have one question for you.
All the plates that I have been making for you are approximately
.038 Thinner then this plate. I guess that would be the guarantee to know the difference between an original and a reproduction is that gonna be a problem ?

this either shows that the Clair plates are thicker, or you made another mistake. Either way it wasn't because I couldn't Afford your stuff.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Any of you guy's who had fake Clair faceplates produced want to chime in? C'mon, don't be shy.....

Last edited:

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
You need to read that message properly !
That message was because of all the PL700B plates I made for you were .038
thinner than the 700 series 2 Clair Bros. plate that you sent me.
That message was followed up with a phone call giving you the price difference for the thicker new plate that you sent me you opted to go with the thinner plate that the 700 B were made from.
Maybe that jogs your memory ?!?!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If I was to build another stack of amps and slapped these old faceplates on them and passed them off as Clair's, I think there would be a whole bunch of ticked off people around here.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't even get that. They are reproductions and the company is long gone.

Tony, Perry, I don't even get this and it just sounds like people are jacking people around and trying to troll us from outside. Ignore it.

I have a friend in Great Britain going in for brain surgery this morning and she's what's on my mind. I've never met her, never even spoken to her but like many on those forums I love her dearly and am worried about here as the first time wasn't very easy either.

I just don't care how thick or skinny a faceplate is. You are just making an APPEARANCE ITEM. Stop letting idiots troll you and just play Steely Dan or something.

Thanks, life and it's enjoyment are what matters.