TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Phase Linear 400 Series II New Black Lasered Faceplate

[TABLE="width: 314, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]

Sorry for Photo quality, shot with my iPhone.

Here's a YouTube video with the laser in action .

https://youtu.be/dx5dmVTf6vM

These are my newest plates for the Phase Linear 400 Series Two Amplifier Laser Etched !!! "no screen printing"
All my New Reproduction Black Faceplates are now "Laser Etched" instead of screenprinted. A beautiful look that will last forever.

Plates are still made from 6061-T6 aluminum precision laser cut with a factory brush finish and then black anodized finish, Now with New Laser Etched no screen printing!
I only have 2 of these.

Thanks for looking.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I had Tony make some 700 series ll some for me if any one wants one Pm me. They are silk screen silver

Attachments

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I hope these Clair plates don't end up on stock series II amps that are not Clair spec originals!!!!!!!!!!!! It will destroy the collectability of the original Clair amps because no one will know if one is legit. This is why we need a master list of serial numbers of true Clair's posted up for reference

I never heard of a Clair Bros 400 (thank goodness) and thanks for having the corners rounded Tony, this is a tell that they are not original so scammers can't pass these off as original should some of these pass into non-family hands!!! The fact that they are laser etched is another tell since the original plates were screenprinted

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
And that begs the question, should a WOPL'D Clair be a Clair?? We'd have to ask Ed if there was a classification among the serial numbers for the Clairs....

Northwinds

Tagline
And that begs the question, should a WOPL'D Clair be a Clair?? We'd have to ask Ed if there was a classification among the serial numbers for the Clairs....
Good point Lee but the difference is the tranny since Clair was picky about specs so serial number is really the only way to tell?? If we could get copies of the original Clair purchase orders posted, that would be awesome to confirm originals. It would be good to hear from Ed or Dean about this. I suppose the original Clair's can easily be returned to stock config if one wanted to for authenticity

I almost wish I had never replied to this thread as I am not trying to stir any shit, just making a point. I am glad we have someone like Tony that can make replacement faceplates for stock PL amps!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I don't think you're trying to stir shit, I think you have a valid point, and I thought the very same thing when I read Glen's post. Just like the B's we do, not much left of the originals. And everything that makes a Clair a Clair is gone when WOPL'D...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ed tells me there is a Kelly Deyoung variant that has its own schematic, or a modified schematic anyway.

Northwinds

Tagline
I would love to see the info posted up of this variant. This site is great, we are the definitive PL archive on the internet

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Some strange shot went on at Phase, like the super hot 400 tranny I got from Ed with no 6 volt secondary winding for the lights, how did that ever clear QC??,

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Someone had contacted me and wanted a half dozen of these plates, and just so happen there was room for two more on the sheet so I want a head and had 8 of them made and figured I would just sell the other 2 myself no idea that this was not a Claire brothers model just was making what a customer requested and have a couple left over. Sorry if this may offend anyone I do apologize. Tony

Northwinds

Tagline
No offense at all Tony, we are glad that someone can make high quality faceplates for the PL amps. So many have crap faceplates from road use. I love your black faceplates for the analog meter series 1 400 and 700B amps. They kick major ass in looks and quality

Northwinds

Tagline
Stick to the consumer faceplates, you will sell a lot of them Tony. Top notch all the way!!

Last edited:

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have not reproduce any plates that I originally made for other people, plates that I have reproduced for others of always been one offs for them variances like rounded corners square corners different thickness plates no one yet has asked me for this 400 series II Claire brothers except for one gentleman and these were two left over plates from that order sorry once again

Northwinds

Tagline
Are you planning another run of the black 700B ones? I have had a couple people ask me if they were available

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I am receiving private messages that people are pissed off saying I have reproduced plates for others that I made for them and other messages with people upset with all these reproduction plates so to rectify this problem. I will no longer be making any phase linear plates whatsoever ! You can close this thread. Not for sale here. Thanks Tony

Northwinds

Tagline
Tony,, there is a ready market for black faceplates for the 400 series 1 and 700B amps, even in chrome. We just want to keep the Clair's exclusive as there is so few of them and their collectible value needs to be protected. Keep doing your excellent work with the consumer PL's and Marantz stuff. The endorsement of this site will carry great weight in making you the goto guy for quality PL faceplates!!

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Ok, I see there is some miscommunication here after really looking at this thread. Tony showing the 400 Clair prompted my comment. Glenn's faceplates do not say Clair on them so they are cool. It does not appear (from what I see) that Tony has made anymore Clair faceplates for the 700 II. Just the two Clair 400s he mentioned