Phase Linear 400 (Early Model Run) On Loan

Tagline
---
On other ocassions, I have use 2 D 150 in Mono to power my Tannoys...but to be honest, I prefer just one DC 300 in Stereo instead of 2 little ones on mono all the time.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks for the explanation, Lee. Even the same can be said for those who have heard the Pioneer Spec 4 compared to the bigger Spec 2 power amplifier. While we are on the subject of amplifier power, is it necessary to have a speaker closely match the power capability of the amp? My Pioneer HPM-150 speakers' maximum power handling is 150 watts, but most amps I have been driving them can produce much more than the speakers' safe rating. I haven't been worried about blowing the speakers up, but I also haven't been monitoring the power output, continually.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Good question Nando. If it doesn't clip, you can get away with a bunch. My K's are rated for 100 continuous.

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
100.... yea right.... Maybe thats what the factory said.... If that was the case for yours you wouldn't have em !!!! Yours are far far from factory ! I'd say yours are getting 100 at idle...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
And thusly starts the debate in what exactly a speaker wil take. We're dealing with music, not a steady state tone. The woofer takes most of the power, the crossover divides it and sends it on , hopefully in the right proportions. There's a whole lot of room for debate, but as Gibsonian has said it all comes down to compression. That can take many forms, thermal, power, frequency, etc.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
And you can do far more damage to your 150 watt speakers with a low-powered 40 watt amplifier which clips, prematurely. I will save discussion on this subject within another thread.

Nando.

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Nice photos and info on the PL 400 there Nando, always a pleasure. My temporary replacement Phono cartridge arrived today so going to fit that and run a few vinyls before resting for the work day tomorrow.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks Derek. I bet you had a few thousand hours on your Signet cartridge. Let us know how the Ortophon works out on your Thorens turntable.

Nando.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Thanks Derek. I bet you had a few thousand hours on your Signet cartridge. Let us know how the Ortophon works out on your Thorens turntable.
Hey Nando =)

The signet cartridge would certainly have around 1500-2000 hours on it and has had 2 stylus (the original and 1 replacement). I like to replace the stylus before it completely wears out, some decrease in fidelity was detected so I stopped using it.

The Ortofon worked out well. I played 2 Mannheim Steamroller Albums on it (Fresh Aire 2 and 3) and it sounded great. These are my favorite records when it comes to testing cartridges. An Ortofon OM10 has been on this turntable before, it is now on my Thorens TD 165 which has quite a few hours on it and is used for playing vinyl that is not in the best condition.

Sound wise the OM10 is not as bright as the Signet MR 5.0 Basic, which is good because it does not over do it and end up "essing" in some passages. Bass response is great and for the money I paid ($60), it is an excellent entry level cartridge. Its a temporary replacement really, now I am thinking of a Shure V15 Type 3 to replace it in the future with a JICO SAS stylus (very nice). This will only happen after I get the WOPL and speakers, they are a priority.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
About 20 years ago I repaired a 700B and then ran it in my bench system. The speakers were/are Minimus 7's. I played the the 7's plenty loud, but didn't clip the 700B for more than an hour. Didn't hurt them one bit and they didn't break up.

And thusly starts the debate in what exactly a speaker wil take. We're dealing with music, not a steady state tone. The woofer takes most of the power, the crossover divides it and sends it on , hopefully in the right proportions. There's a whole lot of room for debate, but as Gibsonian has said it all comes down to compression. That can take many forms, thermal, power, frequency, etc.

fitz43

Good luck fishing, Doug. We just got back from my friend's place in Falkland. Vernon was hot as hell at about 38* C. Ask your brother whether he knows Chad Kerr. Chad knows him.

Nando.
He said he didn't know a Chad. Maybe after thinking about it for a week he'll remember. He said he must have been on the lumber side as opposed to the plywood side.

fitz43

pl400 receipt.jpg

I am the original owner of this PL400. Bought the unit new in 1975. Lusted over the PL700B, but couldn't afford one till much later. It has been controlled by a Dynaco Pat4, SAE ?? (I can't remember the model, actually can't even recall exactly what it looked like), Spectro Acoustics P-101, PL3300. Used to drive a pair of homebuilts, consisting of two Utah 12"s and 8 CTS 2T8s per cabinet. Even made my first PC board to house the home rolled x-over. Used it for quite a few years until I guess something went west in it. Replaced it and the speakers with a Rotel amp and Mission speakers. It had sentimental value and I missed the VU meters so sent it off to Amplifier Surgery to have it restored. I didn't know about Lee and his work at the time. When I was asked about what colour LEDs I wanted in it, I was told that people were choosing amber. I liked the look so I asked Lee to install amber LEDs in my 700b when he was putting the White Oak driver and lighting board in it. The PL 400 has been rotated in and out of my system regularly. At the moment I'm running a recently restored/rebuilt/updated Ampzilla. Another amp that I lusted over years ago. Maybe that will be the next one Nando critiques here?

PS. I no longer reside at the address on the invoice.
Doug

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hi all,

Three weeks ago, Doug (fitz43) and I met at West Vancouver, after work, so that I could return his Larrt WOPL 1000 Phase Linear 700 B power amplifier, which I had been borrowing since early June. I can say the PL 700 B sure felt like it was at home in my stereo stand. I admire the looks of this particular amplifier and with the upgrades done by Lee this amp would put many of the current-market amps to shame. Who says because it's old means it's not better? I would say quite the opposite in my experience with stereo gear.

We all met - that included Geri, who got to the designated meeting place at White Spot restaurant, before both of us, and we sat outside on the patio. She works in downtown Vancouver and it was only a 15 minute trip for her. I am sorry that traffic was unruly for Doug as he neared the restaurant as this is a bad time of day to be travelling during rush hour. We had a meal together and this gave us time to have a decent chat.

Nando.
I KNEW I should have voted to change the site name to 'Geri, Gear and Stuff'. Her new 'do is wonderful.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Doug: Thanks for providing the history behind your PL 400. That was a lot of coin back then for a power amplifier. And here it is, thirty-eight years later, still providing enjoyment. I'm glad I had the chance to use your PL 400. I fall all over original-owner stereo equipment.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks For The Memories

Well, tomorrow, Doug and I will be meeting in Vancouver. I will be returning his PL 400 amplifier, which he has lent to me and I have had in my upstairs system for the past five months. It has performed flawlessly and I really enjoyed the looks and performance of this original-owner collectible.

Time to box the amp up and say adieu my friend!

Nando.

Last edited: