Phase linear 400 brought back to life

mjstriker

Journeyman
Tagline
I love the sound of WOPL in the morning
Been a while since I have posted around these parts. Work and life has gotten a majority of the time. I'm a new dad now!!! The little guy has been keeping me busy that's for sure.

Anyways, scored a 400 off of the bay that was non-working. Guy said he was "trying" to get the meters working and something happened that killed the sound. When I got it the insides looked pretty good. First check was the fuses. They were wrong. Wrong values and two small. The distance was made up with a metal BB. Nice. Put new fuses in and removed the face plate that was wired incorrectly. Past dim bulb test and powered up nicely!!! Sweet now I have another 400 I can mess around with.

Also scored a non-working kenwood C1 preamp off the bay. Phono section was out. Ended up one of the transistors for the phone power supply was bad. Easy fix and it's running great. Have to say this is one nice preamp.

will post some pics tomorrow

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Been a while since I have posted around these parts. Work and life has gotten a majority of the time. I'm a new dad now!!! The little guy has been keeping me busy that's for sure.

Anyways, scored a 400 off of the bay that was non-working. Guy said he was "trying" to get the meters working and something happened that killed the sound. When I got it the insides looked pretty good. First check was the fuses. They were wrong. Wrong values and two small. The distance was made up with a metal BB. Nice. Put new fuses in and removed the face plate that was wired incorrectly. Past dim bulb test and powered up nicely!!! Sweet now I have another 400 I can mess around with.

Also scored a non-working kenwood C1 preamp off the bay. Phono section was out. Ended up one of the transistors for the phone power supply was bad. Easy fix and it's running great. Have to say this is one nice preamp.

will post some pics tomorrow
Nice, I traded for a minty Kenwood C2 and I have to say it is one KILLER preamp. Danimal1969 was down a few weeks ago and was checking records and just kept saying "Damn this preamp is quiet". Half the time, you could barely hear the needle touch the record. It's damn close to the Perreaux. The P-304 I have also seems to be an enigma, it's way better then people say... and damn quiet also. The Kenny has more load options so I prefer it slightly over the Integra preamp. The Perreaux SA3 still is the best IMO (so far)

mjstriker

Journeyman
Tagline
Nice, I traded for a minty Kenwood C2 and I have to say it is one KILLER preamp. Danimal1969 was down a few weeks ago and was checking records and just kept saying "Damn this preamp is quiet". Half the time, you could barely hear the needle touch the record. It's damn close to the Perreaux. The P-304 I have also seems to be an enigma, it's way better then people say... and damn quiet also. The Kenny has more load options so I prefer it slightly over the Integra preamp. The Perreaux SA3 still is the best IMO (so far)

Totally underrated. Don't do much vinyl but I agree the preamp is dead quiet. The soundstage and channel separation is freakishly good especially with my polk sda-2b's.

Was as initially planning on giving this to my dad as a donor while I worked on his sony ta-200f (right phono channel is out) but I can't get it out of my main system. I think when he gets it he won't want to give it back. Although I have heard good things about the Sony too.

anybody have an opinion on the B&K pro-10mc or Acurus RL-11? Some broken ones on ebay that I am interested in picking up if the price is right. Have always been interested in trying a passive (option on B&K)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yes, I have read it. Some pretty sweet numbers. Really wanting to grab that one that needs to be fixed. Been having some good luck with other "for parts or repair" units
Build quality on the Acurus is USA top notch too. None of those cheap Japanese consumer boards and transistors inside that unit.

mjstriker

Journeyman
Tagline
Build quality on the Acurus is USA top notch too. None of those cheap Japanese consumer boards and transistors inside that unit.
Hell Ya! My plan is to keep everything USA made. Now you guys have me excited about trying to get this preamp. Have a feeling it's going to work its way up in price over the next day.