Phase Linear 3000 Ser II relay sub for the HB2E-DC24

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Old post but just wondering how to tell a nitrogen filled relay one from not? Looking at a 3000II wondering if it's worth the trouble of dealing with the relays?
The original relays in the Phase Linear 3000 II had a clear see-through top.
Phase Linear had numerous problems with these. Earlier 3000's had 13 relays. Later 3000's added an additional (14th) relay in order to prevent problems when using 3-head tape decks. During the production of the 3000's approximately 6 or 7 of these 13 relays were replaced with the nitrogen filled relays until eventually all 3000's had them in them.

The 3000's also suffered problems with the dirty switch contacts and false triggering of the IC's. Also the power switches can fail. It is also best to obtain a copy of the service manual as there are some other mods that should be performed.

NOTE: The nitrogen gas-filled sealed relays with gold contacts had a yellow top.

Ed

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
The original relays in the Phase Linear 3000 II had a clear see-through top.

The nitrogen gas-filled sealed relays with gold contacts had a yellow top.

Ed
Thank you Ed, you have any opinion on this model of pre? Really appreciate all your knowledge.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Thank you Ed, you have any opinion on this model of pre? Really appreciate all your knowledge.
After all the issues I noted in my previous post are dealt with on the 3000's they are a decent pre-amp.

If my memory serves me correct, this was Dennis Bohn's first product after coming over to Phase Linear from National Semiconductor. I did give him a little ribbing about it when I met him at one of the Phase Linear re-union parties I organized many years ago. The relay issue wasn't really his fault. Aromat had quoted him something like 500,000 cycles before it would become an issue.

Ed