Oppo

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I got the same model that Larry has. It was the one that seemed to have the best price/ performance. Mine arrived this morning, and I have listened to it for maybe 10 minutes. An Onix it is not, but it ain't bad either. It will play about anything but Blu-Ray... and it does sound pretty darn good for the price. I paid sixty five dollars or thereabouts and it included the original HDMI cord, power cord, RCA cable, and remote controal...the seller even had a set of new batteries in the box. I would say that in its' day it was the shizzzz...and given the fact that it will play and upsample DVD's, play SACD's, CD-R, CD-RW....and sounds VERY good...I think it was a bargain...

Joe......old digital is old digtital......so do you think opamps could e changed to acheive better sounding old digital? I'm really struggling trying to figure out how to upgrade opamps in this Onix CD-3 and now I'm questioning tt attempt in light of your statement ( and the fact that I can't find new opamps in the right package with the right pinout....GEEEEZZZZ.. what to do?
You proved that old solid state is not just old solid state.....and oh man did you ever prove it ! !

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
It isn't only sound. I can get a 1080P on any DVD I put in it. It has variable output. For 70 bucks and do what it does. I'm not kicking that horse. Find out when your Onix was made. Sutton send me your 10 and a blank check and I will send you a CDP that is better. LOL Do you trust me with a blank check. It will come back sounding better and you just pay retail.

Larry

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
If I had money in the bank, I would think aboutit, but I am flat broke at the moment, plus I think I have reached the point with sources and amplification that any improvement in sound quality would require more money than I am willing to pay. I still think, as I always have, that SPEAKERS is where it all really lies. Speakers make the biggest difference in a system, and especially considering money. If I drop any more money into audio components it would be in speakers...but I still have the Lambdas which need to be optimized using the active crossover, and the La Scals which need to be put back together..and, with all but the Lambdas, I'll need a sub..

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Oppo was a pioneer in DAD (CD), with machines ready for sale from day one, so I wouldn't ever doubt their prowess in Bluray and multi format players. They are a brand I would buy if I could afford them and alas, I don't have any real catalog for them.

This is a ringing endorsement from a lifetime Pioneer fan, and if they are affiliated with Sanyo-Panasonic even more so. Sanyo and Panasonic have always been topnotch companies to me and their merger was excellent in my eyes.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Lstened to the Oppo a little more yesterday and did a little comparison with the Onix, and the Oppo sounds better than I gave it credit for. Not bad at all, In fact pretty darn nice..Of course, I still think speakers is where the best bang for the buck is... Sometimes I think the $29.00 WallyWorld DVD players aren't terrible for CD playback. I think the technology is so mature, and all the parts are getting so good, the cost to performance factor line is pretty far down the scale, I really would love to do some Blind Listening A-B comparisons with a bunch of different components. I really think the results would shock a bunch of people. I wish a bunch of us could get together and do a controlled double blind rating of some things from Speaker wire, preamps, amps, sources, and everything up to speakers....which would be the toughest...but I'll bet the easiest to rate..

speakerman1

Tagline
My Oppo died. Oppo will fix it like new for 50.00. So I will have a factory refurb for 120.00 with my original price. I have power to the switch and power out. So that is as far as I can get. Oh well. Seems like things are dying around me. LOL

Larry

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Larry,

The guy you contacted and cussed out...said it would die soon. Looks like he may have known more than we thought about the Oppo and it strengths and weaknesses. I can't remember now, but someone suggested sending the Oppo to the factory and having the $50.00 treatment done. As I recall, there are some small caps that bulge in these...and you might be able to simply replace them, but probably way better off sending it to the factory. I'd say it's worth the spend to have a universal player that is in working order. Let us know what you do, cause I have one, and I think Joe may have one, but I'll probably be sending mine away at some point in the future...as soon as it gives up the ghost.

speakerman1

Tagline
I didn't cuss anyone.LOL I just asked for drawings and he said buy the service online for 49.99. Which to me is a good deal. He emailed me back within a couple of hours. They were nice about it. Just haven't sent it yet.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I've read many a good feedback to Oppo's customer service.
This is why I finally ponied up and bought one for the old HT arrangement.
I don't use it for audio as I have a Rotel in my stack dedicated for that job.

Glad to hear about another such low cost Oppo experience..

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
WOW!!!! That's even faster than Laatsch.............by a few months......... Like 8 or 9.....

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Rule #1, old digital is just old digital.
Rule #2, refer to Rule #1 :)

D/A technology has come a long way in a short period of time, like the rest of the computer industry.
Most D/A converters in Average Joe consumer CD players hit the top around 2000-'01. LINEAR? I think it was...

You can get these decks for $5 at yard sales.