Opinions on Stereotech (budget Mac) gear...

jaetee

Journeyman
I may have an opportunity to pick up a recently serviced, clean and working Stereotech 1200 receiver for $125. Waiting to make plans with seller to view and potentially buy.

Depending on how it sounds and looks when I see it in person, it may end up pushing the Tannoy monitors I use in the DJ room. The Yammy R-8 doing the job now needs some attention.

From what I've read the Stereotech 12100 is only 50wpc, but that it's a conservative number and these sound very Mac-ish and are very robust... It should be great for near field listening.

Would love to hear thoughts on this unit from anyone who's been around one...?

:)

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I never heard of Stereotech before now. With that said, I have read that "they say" that Mac receivers are not the best of Mac. If at all possible, listen to this thing powering YOUR speakers before you give up the cash. I believe there is an optimum speaker for every amp/receiver, and an optimum amp/receiver for every speaker.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I never heard of Stereotech before now. With that said, I have read that "they say" that Mac receivers are not the best of Mac. If at all possible, listen to this thing powering YOUR speakers before you give up the cash. I believe there is an optimum speaker for every amp/receiver, and an optimum amp/receiver for every speaker.
Beats 1000 watts PMPO every time.

jaetee

Journeyman
For $125 I'm not expecting the best of Mac, not by a long shot. Been doing more research and this thing looks and sounds like a good deal.

If I end up with a decent example of a mac-like receiver that makes good sound for that price, I think it's a must-buy. Good idea regarding speakers...

Last edited: