Onix CD-3 Review

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
I have been asked to write a short review of the latest toy so here it goes:

I won the auction here for the Onix CD-3 a couple weeks back. After reading some good things about the Onix I decided why not bid and see what happens. Well, last night those friendly FEDEX guys had a package sitting on the doorstep when I finally got home.

Lee had the player packaged so I think even a tank could have run over the box and it would have survived. Thanks Lee for being one of the very few I have purchased from that has a clue on how to pack an item.

The Onix is a very well made device. The enclosure is solid aluminum (~3/16 or so) and anodized black which looks fantastic. The front panel looks to be heavy polycarbonate which high quality switches and very nice looking dot matrix display (blue in color). This thing is heavy and not anything like the BPC Sony player which it has now replaced.

Ok, on to the important issue, does this thing sound any good. Being like a kid on C-mas it's lets hear this thing now! The Sansui 9090DB driving some EV S-200 speakers was close and easy to connect to so that will get the first test. Now what CD to try...... The Desert Rose Band is what was fired up and after about 6 measures of the first tune all I could say is wow! The highs sparkle, the mid are very smooth and balanced, and the lows thump! Crank it up (as the NASCAR saying goes) and this thing sounds even better. I have never been a fan of CD's always harsh and brittle sounding but that opinion may soon be changed with the Onix. Most CD's last about 20 minutes before I want to smash them. Last night I had the thing cranked for 3+ hours with various CD's and didn't have the urge to smash anything.

Back to the music..... The first thing that jumped out was that the acoustic instruments sounded, well acoustic. The mandolin just sang, one could hear details and dynamics just not heard before. JD on pedal steel also just jumped out of the speakers, amazing. On to a few other CD's even those which I just could not stand to listen to and again the sound was beautiful. Do I need really need to say that I am impressed, didn't think so.....

Robert :D :D

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
speakerman1 said:
LOL it can get better. There are many toys in the arsenal around here. We have the means and the technology. Good Review.

Larry
That is what my checkbook is afraid of....... It's only money, right?

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
It takes a lot less of that around here than most places Robert. Thats what's so F*&^%$# cool about PAC. I know I get a kick out of what you are experiencing now because I just went through the same thing not too long ago. Fantastic CDP's in my opinion, I'm glad you concur. Makes me think I'm not in my own little world up here with no grip on reality(which has happened occasionally)!!!!

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Yes the technology is pretty cheap around here. There are posts. If there are toys you want to try just say the word. I'm laughing. You guys are funny to me. The only toys I haven't shared are the ones I use. LOL Wait till Lee hears these little Epos. LMAO

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Lookin forward to it MM. my exposure to speakers is limited and any new experiences are welcome!!!!

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Agree on the technology comment Larry..... The neat thing about this time period is one can collect most of the toys he dreamed of at bargain prices.

This is a great forum....

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
rtp_burnsville said:
Agree on the technology comment Larry..... The neat thing about this time period is one can collect most of the toys he dreamed of at bargain prices.

This is a great forum....

Robert
Exactly what it is great for or about seems to be a FLUID situation, which is it's draw for me. We can be totally serious one moment then Stu gets involved the next! See?, just never know.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
You rang?? :blackknight: that was a compliment right?? :pain10: :munky2: :blackknight:

Congrats Robert on the Onix, I tried to get Dale to fork over to get one, he's just too strapped right now, but when he hears this tape Jerry made, which I suspect was from one of the Onix CDP's we'll figure something out, that and I want/need FF's McIntosh 6100 too!!!

I think digital is finally catching up with vinyl...... :diabloanifire: :offtheair: :fart: , I can't believe I just posted that....mark your calendars folks, stu made a funny 6/22/11 5:50 PDT !! :mrgreen:

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hey Stuwee, out playing with your friends I see.... :)

Ahh, no wants, just NEEDS of various degrees!!!! Yeh, the Onix surprised me. I was more less just expecting a nice looking CDP is all. It's been playing a couple hours so far again tonight and I still can't believe that I don't feel like smashing something. That CD harshness would drive me nuts!

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Whole different world. Does the wife notice a difference?? Compliment?? Of course PAC aint PAC without the Stu!!