ONIX CD-15

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Wow Lee, you've come a long way from the BPC CDP on bungie cords in the listening room eh??

Get thee a turntable...

I still owe ya for my CD-2, it's coming bud!

I'm really interested in what Jani thinks of the sound (not that I don't trust your ears, I just think her's are better :alien: ).

BTW guys, I've mentioned this before, I'm sick of my job...Burr Brown is a Tucson AZ company, should I apply to sweep floors, bring coffee and donuts?? Get in through the back door, what ever it takes?? Hah! I learn quick, I could pick this stuff up fast, become an engineer like gramps, then get us all a discount on the good stuff :santa:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Jani thinks it's wonderful, a good deal better than the CD-1. And I have a turntable, and I use it.
The CD-15 has an improved "vibration isolation" transport, and I have checked that claim and it's true, could not get it to skip.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
laatsch55 said:
Jani thinks it's wonderful, a good deal better than the CD-1. And I have a turntable, and I use it.
The CD-15 has an improved "vibration isolation" transport, and I have checked that claim and it's true, could not get it to skip.
If Jani thinks its wonderful, then it is :thumbright: , you are a lucky man to have a great pair of ears attached to someone like that that thinks you are wonderful as well :love3:

XXXOOO, stu

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I do think the current generation of Onix.....the CD-10 and CD-15 better the earler generations......like the CD-1 and CD-3. I didn't think it was possible but I now believe. After listening to both for about a week now, I think I will order the op amps in an attempt to "upgrade" the CD-3. It could possibly bring its' level of performance up to, and perhps even surpass that of the CD-10. We will see. Can anyone check my choices to verify that they are the best electrical match to the ones already in the unit? There are several variations of each op amp, and I want to make sure I order the correct ones..

The Onix ia a beautiful unit on the inside. Very well organized and put together beautifully. The "upgraded" op maps may bring this unit to a new level of performance. With there being a few of these units out there, there might be other folks wanting to perform the same "upgrade".

Hugh

Journeyman
Music to my ears.
ksrigg said:
I do think the current generation of Onix.....the CD-10 and CD-15 better the earler generations......like the CD-1 and CD-3. I didn't think it was possible but I now believe. After listening to both for about a week now.

The Onix ia a beautiful unit on the inside. Very well organized and put together beautiffuly. The "upgraded" op maps may bring this unit to a new level of performance

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I feel the same way Hugh, definately better units than the previous ones. And beautiful gear to boot.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
laatsch55 said:
Sutton I have never seen an OPA ^)$, could you clarify that please?
I held the shift key down as I entered 604....sorry...I have edited the post..

The four op amps matched the label on the board was my point..not the case for the single op amp..It was a different op amp than spec'ed on the PCB...

Hugh

Journeyman
You and I both Lee.

It's sadden that most people here in The US never got a chance to experience the beauty of Onix products.

If you guys got a chance, try to listen to the XCD-50.

May be some of you could attend RMAF in October?
laatsch55 said:
I feel the same way Hugh, definately better units than the previous ones. And beautiful gear to boot.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Yeah...I think I did get one of the Op amps wrong.. I think it should be an OPA1641 and not an OPA1644. I was ready to order the wrong item...Now I just need to know which of these two op amps VERSIONS to get..The specifications appear to be the same, and I'm not sure about the pckage/case....I don't know what "SOIC-8 " means...or if it is the correct CASE to order..

OK....now I'm getting a little bumfuzzled. The package for both op amps is PDIP-8. These "upgrades" are not available in PDIP-8 packlage...so what do I do now? Are any of the other packages a replacement for the PDIP package? Or am I just screwed, and all this research is for naught? Tell me what to do guys... Is this where the "Brown Dog" comes into play? Is there an adaptor or should I just back away from this project?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sutton, the 1641's are not available in a DIP package. There are adapters available but the piout on the 604 has offset trim inputs and the 1641 doesn't, so even if you adapted the surface mount device to a DIP adapter they are not interchangable.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Ireally want to attempt to upgrade the CD-3 but seems like the force is not with me. Wonder if anything can be done to replace the opamps with better ones? Is anything available in the same package that would be an "upgrade"? I'm guessing new production OPA604 are going to sound exactly like five year old OPA604...I seriously want to try something....These babies are too nice.....as you know Lee.......how many did you rescue from certain doom? Man oh man, I know if it could have been done, you probably would have already done it, so I guess I may throw in the towel.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I don't know enough in this realm to really tell you Sutton. It's more Joe's area.