One for Pops...

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
It looks to me that they were trying to achieve an oil film between the ball and cup on the end of the spindle. The ball sits on the aluminum bottom of the well as single point contact which I think would have higher friction than the two hard surfaces with oil film between. Likely dimples into the soft aluminum.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It looks to me that they were trying to achieve an oil film between the ball and cup on the end of the spindle. The ball sits on the aluminum bottom of the well as single point contact which I think would have higher friction than the two hard surfaces with oil film between. Likely dimples into the soft aluminum.
That is odd. Unless the ball is secured somehow, I would think it would rather rotate on the point contact than the cupped interface.

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
That is odd. Unless the ball is secured somehow, I would think it would rather rotate on the point contact than the cupped interface.
The ball was not secured. I will have the spindle out again next time I’m home for a looksie and see how things are doing. I wonder if the single point contact into a comparatively soft metal or if there is a sharp edge machined into the bottom of the well causes it to have higher friction keeping the ball stationary. The spindle and well were clean, no signs of wear.