OMG what have I done?

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
OH man, that video is priceless... I had switched to bell one time. Terrible experience. Long story made short. They tried to disconnect me and claimed I owed 2 months of service when i had just received my first months bill. Overdue or something in their system. When calling to try to get a payment they kept refusing my credit card. After speaking to so many hindu's I finally asked where the hell they were calling me from. Well if the lady didnt lose her shit. Exclaims to me "I AM CALLING FROM MONTREAL SIR, NOT INDIA". My reply was who said anything about India. At which point I told her that she was a f@cking idiot, that could not process a credit card. Needless to say they kept trying to charge me for service after their scheduled disconnect which i received before my second months bill. I told them to stick it and switched back to Cable.

When their collections department kept calling, it was my turn to play their game. One day they would get Hindu Ben, next it would be Asian Ben, next would be French Ben, they eventually stopped calling.

Yes this is the short version of the story haha.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I called Dell customer service one time and the Pakistani accent was so bad I could hardly understand, so I too asked where he was located, he said he was from Georgia, Atlanta. I said Bud next time someone asks that question you're fromAtlanta, Georgia. And promptly hung up.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I think we have some of those computerized CS setups...they start to sound like the same Asian woman and there is JUST A BIT of hesitation when they come up with their name.

They also repeat your statement like Eliza while apologizing in the most stilted, impossible way.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I also just turned html on here, so should be able to use the link copied from the speedtest site now..

OK Jer
You shamed me into upgrading my network and getting rid of my trusty Netgear RT311 which was the chokepoint in my network. It had me throttled to 5Mb down and 4.5Mb up. Now with my new D-Link Gbe router, I am getting basically full line speed for my plan 30 down and 6 up.

Big difference. Now all my Nest thermostats network more reliably too.

orange

Tagline
I'm using the Actiontec PK5000 as my DSL gateway with the built-in NIC of the Dell Dimension 2350...can I do any better or am I stuck with what Centurylink sends?

There really isn't an option-I can piggyback another ISP but that means using the existing DSL and paying more, no improvement whatsoever.

orange

Tagline
This is disgusting...I figured out how to ping Boise and Idaho Falls, ID andthe download speed got violently ill...the PING time doubled from Providence, Utah? I don't get it...have to view the Internet Traffic Report site...can't be right!

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
OK Jer
You shamed me into upgrading my network and getting rid of my trusty Netgear RT311 which was the chokepoint in my network. It had me throttled to 5Mb down and 4.5Mb up. Now with my new D-Link Gbe router, I am getting basically full line speed for my plan 30 down and 6 up.

Big difference. Now all my Nest thermostats network more reliably too.
Yep, found that out too when I was using an old Linksys gateway. Once your area is upgraded to docsis 3, it's good to have that GB up-link to the modem.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
How you liking those Nest stats?
I have 2 out of 4 zones in my house done. It took me buying 3 to get 2 good ones so that was a little disappointing. Until I upgraded my network to the latest wireless standard, I could only get one of the 2 linked up on WiFi despite great signal strength. You need to get them connected because the software they are shipped with is woefully behind the latest revision.

I would say that I like the concept but not sure I am all that impressed with the root engineering behind them, lots of bugs that they are still addressing with the firmware. The Lithium Ion battery charging is a bit sketchy, they will drop WiFi if they sense the battery voltage isn't quite high enough. They drop it to shed load and to conserve battery which is a good thing.
They work fine and once you get them networked they are easy to manage from a remote computer. I like that aspect of them and is the primary driver for why I purchased them (and it was easy for the wife to understand, she likes the on-off type of things).

They are hippie crunchy meaning that the company shows obvious animosity to Internet Explorer. I do not like that aspect of it. They seem to be Google/Apple centric. I am not a Google person because they know too much about everything these days and I refuse to feed into that.

Well enough about all that, the Nests are more than adequate. They are in Gen2 right now. I am hoping that Gen3 will be better yet.

We once started with 30 megabits per second with our provider Ziggo. They then upgraded for free to 60 megabits per second, which they also swapped our modem for, again for free. Now we received yet another letter: They're gonna upgrade it for free once again 30 megabits per second higher, so we'll have 90 megabits per second, officially. Pretty cool speeds, all my downloads with uTorrent have been quick, now they'll just speed up even more!

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I'm supposed to get 30 megabits per second, so am happy with this result. Internet is $100 a month, 200 gigabyte limit then slowed to a painful 64k, luckily I never go over the limit.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
This is what you get when you have 'Boost', which they offered up to me when I rolled back my TV package.
You gots to have the Docsis 3.0 modem to score it though. I pay 69.95 a month for television and broadband.

Untitled.jpg

What package do you have John? Seems low by today's standards or your modem is dirt old or failing ...

I was part of the Comcast speed doubling, we will see how long before they double the price? :wink: