oldphaser (Ed) Builds Some Amps (Phase Linear & White Oak Audio)

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Easily obtainable here in Texas. I think it varies by state. How much do you need?

Perry,

I have the Acetone but not 99.99% isopropyl. I have some 91% isopropyl alcohol I bought at the local drug store. Can the 99.99% be obtained fairly easily?

Thanks!
Ed

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe,

I got your e-mail and just downloaded the documents. I might be wrong, but it appears that the BOM Excel spreadsheet and pdf of Rev E4 still shows Q2. Likewise the "Change History PL14_PL20_RevE PCB" Word document show no change to Q2 either.

Ed
We are referring to Q2L and Q2R Ed. Not Q2. That is what Jer was flagging.

The change history spells it out.

Q1 is an MJE15032 and Q2 is an MJE15033 and both are populated as the BOM calls out.

Excerpt from change history.
...ChangeR7L/R from 3.01K ohms, 1/4W, 1% to open
ChangeR10L/R from 390 ohms, 1/4W, 1% to open
ChangeQ2L/R from MPSA92 to open
ChangeR5L/R from 3.01K ohms, 1/4W, 1% to 5.76K ohms, 1/4W, 1%
ChangeR6L/R from 1.50K ohms, 1/4W, 1% to 182 ohms, 1/4W, 1%

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Use Kester no-clean solder part number 245 1.1% flux. Full part number is Kester SN63PB37 1.1%/245 It is very low residue and the residue left behind is easy to clean when compared to Kester 44 Rosin flux.

Cleaning with this solder is optional. Clean using 91% isopropyl alcohol (available at Walmart in the pharmacy section) not acetone. Organic solvents such as acetone, tri-chlor and xylene attack the rubber seals in the electrolytic capacitors and should never be used (in addition to being bad for you). You can also use 3M Novec which is extremely good flux remover but is also very expensive.

Joe, all the manufacture says about ACETONE IS:

5)Cleaning after Soldering(1)Do not clean capacitors with the following cleaning agents:・Halogenated solvents: except for solvent resistant capacitor types, halogenated solvents can permeate the seal to corrode aluminum foilwithin capacitor.・Alkali solvents: could attack and dissolve aluminum can.・Petroleum based solvents: could deteriorate packing rubber.・Xylene: could deteriorate packing rubber.・Acetone: could blur print on sleeve.

When mixed with IPA @ 50% , it doesn't even do that. Some other cleaners do eat the rubber but not acetone. I wouldn't dunk them or soak them but an acid brush with some on there and a rinse with straight IPA won't hurt.

http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/catalog/e_pdfs/aluminum/cautionalumi_eng.pdf

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe, all the manufacture says about ACETONE IS:

5)Cleaning after Soldering(1)Do not clean capacitors with the following cleaning agents:・Halogenated solvents: except for solvent resistant capacitor types, halogenated solvents can permeate the seal to corrode aluminum foilwithin capacitor.・Alkali solvents: could attack and dissolve aluminum can.・Petroleum based solvents: could deteriorate packing rubber.・Xylene: could deteriorate packing rubber.・Acetone: could blur print on sleeve.

When mixed with IPA @ 50% , it doesn't even do that. Some other cleaners do eat the rubber but not acetone. I wouldn't dunk them or soak them but an acid brush with some on there and a rinse with straight IPA won't hurt.

http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/catalog/e_pdfs/aluminum/cautionalumi_eng.pdf
Thanks for researching it Perry. Good info...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I searched for a long time to figure something out for getting this old flux off the boards. 99% IPA is ok but works way better with 25-50% of ass-a-tone in the bottle. Some of the other solutions are expensive and when you do as many board a I do, you gots to find a cheaper solution for a solution... :)

I thought the print was getting blurry from the acetone but it was my VIsION after huffing it....

Last edited:

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
I used 99% IPA . Learned 30 years ago in Italtel / Siemens .
( used for cleaning after repairing or modifying boards )
Very easy to find in pharmacy .
Also perfect product to clean tape heads ,styli and laser lens .
( suggested by manufacturers in owner's manuals )
Warning : it's also the perfect thinner for some kinds of acrylic paints .
Ciao
Marco

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perry,

I have the Acetone but not 99.99% isopropyl. I have some 91% isopropyl alcohol I bought at the local drug store. Can the 99.99% be obtained fairly easily?

Thanks!
Ed
I order it by the quart from mouser or DigiKey (IPA that is.., Acetone from HomoDepot)

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Also, Phase Linear typically mounted the resistors with the color coding from left to right (when facing the pc board with the wiring located at the bottom of the board). In this case, I followed the instructions and mounted them from right to left.
I thought I was the only one with a particular form of OCD that forced me to mount with the coding from left to right. In case of vertical mount, from top to bottom, and in the case of diagonal, favor the NW corner.

Yeah... diodes first...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I bought a quart of Acetone last week at our small town True Value hardware. I had to ask three times & they finally went ' out back' and got one.
Even though I'm in there several times a week , I felt like I was asking for a quarter pound or something.
I wonder if it is used for making meth? That's a big deal here in the deep Ozarks.
Yes- acetone is used for making meth.
(Don't ask...)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I thought I was the only one with a particular form of OCD that forced me to mount with the coding from left to right. In case of vertical mount, from top to bottom, and in the case of diagonal, favor the NW corner.

Yeah... diodes first...
Every board I have built (and that is quite a few) has the resistors with the most significant digit band to the right or facing north or lettered value facing up and right reading or top to bottom reading. It makes errors stand out better visually if you have committed one if you follow a routine. That is the reason I adhere to it.

Time to carefully line up the pencils on my desk :)

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Board looks nice Mr. Ed. Be good to see how this turns out. I have always used 91% or whtever the highest octane IPA taht I could get from Wally World for cleaning. I would have never dreamed of mixing with acetone. I am going to try that one . Thanks Perry.

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Back in the 80s when I did board level repairs for a living we used GC Print Kote Solvent 22-209. This did a great job in cleaning the flux off the boards. Active ingredient Toluene. Use in a well vented area. I am sure the low flux solder used today is easier to clean.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Back in the 80s when I did board level repairs for a living we used GC Print Kote Solvent 22-209. This did a great job in cleaning the flux off the boards. Active ingredient Toluene. Use in a well vented area. I am sure the low flux solder used today is easier to clean.
Holy shit, I have a 5 gallon can of Toluene in the garage. That shit will knock an elephant over when you open the can. Been wanting to sell it for the last 2 years but I don't want the FBI knocking on my door

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Put it in small plastic juggs ( if it won't dissolve them, lol ) and offer it only to us guys and gals here a Phoenix. I will buy one.