oldphaser (Ed) Builds Some Amps (Phase Linear & White Oak Audio)

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Remember carbon-tetra-chloride?? Good solvent, good carcinogen...
Years ago we had a hot tank with tri- Ethal clorithene about 4’ x6’ x4’ deep.
You put in an engine block and after an overnight stay it came out stripped of everything. The tank was heated to a vapor point of the liquid.
Running around the top off the tank were three 1” condensing pipes to cool the contents to a liquid And prevent gassing all of us. I guess I am lucky to have lived this long after such a dangerous work place.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Years ago we had a hot tank with tri- Ethal clorithene about 4’ x6’ x4’ deep.
You put in an engine block and after an overnight stay it came out stripped of everything. The tank was heated to a vapor point of the liquid.
Running around the top off the tank were three 1” condensing pipes to cool the contents to a liquid And prevent gassing all of us. I guess I am lucky to have lived this long after such a dangerous work place.
I remember the same kind in our local machine shops round here. I have no idea how they clean engines now. Too old to consider building one now.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Oh stop it! I'm 64 & scour Craigs list daily for more projects to drag home! Until they start shoveling on the dirt or pouring the ashes in the urn, I'm not giving in!
and they still hot tank engines at some shops. The big money outfits have fancy machines that work like a giant sized dishwasher. Block sits on a turntable.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
This setup was way different that a hot tank which are just heated caustic, still dangerous. The tri ethal setup was band years ago

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
This setup was way different that a hot tank which are just heated caustic, still dangerous. The tri ethal setup was band years ago
That is more like what they had here, a caustic. And yep, same here Brad as far as projects...just small stuff here...electronics though.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
That is more like what they had here, a caustic. And yep, same here Brad as far as projects...just small stuff here...electronics though.
Well if you get bored, I have 4000 pounds - O - fun right here you can run up & give me some ideas on!:

Traub screw machine #1 001 (Medium).JPG

mlucitt

Jeez, I use denatured alcohol on my circuit boards from Home Depot or Lowes and it works pretty good for me. I would not try and drink it though, they used to call it wood alcohol or methanol. Different from 200 proof drinkin' alcohol, like Everclear or grain alcohol. That stuff is too expensive to pour on circuit boards. Heck, a few drops in some orange juice will make you stand straight up.

mlucitt

Denatured alcohol is grain alcohol (ethanol) with added methanol, also known as wood alcohol. It is called denatured because a poison has been added to the drinkable ethanol for tax reasons.
Damn the government.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Methanol (CH3OH) is corrosive to aluminum, eats rubber and some plastics. So I am going to use straight ethanol (ethyl alcohol, or grain alcohol) now for electronics (WOPL Control Board) cleaning. Do they sell Everclear in Wyoming?
Safest is isopropyl alcohol 91% that they sell at Walmart

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Methanol (CH3OH) is corrosive to aluminum, eats rubber and some plastics. So I am going to use straight ethanol (ethyl alcohol, or grain alcohol) now for electronics (WOPL Control Board) cleaning. Do they sell Everclear in Wyoming?

Yes, by way of Kentucky..