Older Digital Media

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
My friend, Robert, is more of an audio enthusiast than I am - if you can believe that. Often, he looks for items of interest for me and I do the same for him. He lives in Vancouver, about an hour's drive south of me. I haven't been able to drop in to see him for almost a year, but we do phone each other. On a trip into town, yesterday, I stopped by his place. He had collected a few sealed MiniDisc blanks and a pair of music concerts on laserdisc for me from the Salvation Army store, a few blocks from his place. This is a real treat, as I am always looking for music LDs and the Denon MDs are the first I've had. I swear, that store has been a haven for great stuff. His latest acquisition was a mint Nakamichi DR-3 cassette deck for $29.95. He seems to find such great deals. He has an Oracle Delphi turntable he also scooped for an unheard of price and he's just waiting for a Dynavector cartridge to arrive before putting it in play.

Here's an old picture of his system and it's already changed a lot since a couple of years ago.

Nando.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Laserdiscs were given digital soundtracks along with the analog ones at about the same time CDs came out, IIRC, at most where it was the closest predecessor to DVD video. You might already be aware how LDs were the 'guinea pig' for most every aspect of usage for the DVD format except RAM.

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
This is very cool Nando!

His latest acquisition was a mint Nakamichi DR-3 cassette deck for $29.95. He seems to find such great deals....
About great deals...

Picked up this K242 HD in absolute condition of new for only €15,-:

K-242 HD.jpg

On this picture it has been modified to my standards already...

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Daren: Most real audio enthusiasts, who become your friends, are always there to fill your desires. I first met Robert when I bought his RT-707. That was quite a few years ago. Then I bought his RT-909 and AKG K-240 headphones and he's been a great resource for open-reel tapes, 8-tracks, and sealed blank cassettes. I brought him a sealed cassette of Keith Richards' "Crosseyed Heart" which just came available on cassette, of all things.

Miles: Well done on those AKGs.

Nando.