OK explain to me

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Jerry sold me a nice sound card. Will this make better CD burns? Or is it for external use only? Just trying to get my head wrapped around this. Act like I am a child and explain it to me as if I am an idiot.

Larry

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
The short answer is no. The better sound card will let you record or playback music of higher quality through your computer. So if you run sound in through your sound card and record it to your hard drive it will sound better when burning cd's of the material recorded through the sound card. Any material previously on your computer may sound better in playback on your computer but wont sound any better when you burn it to CD's. The process of transferring the files to a CD in your cd burner is handled the same as data and your sound card won't have any effect on the sound quality of the files on the CD. You can burn music cd's on your computer without even having a sound card installed. :cyclops:

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Yep, what he said.. :cheers:

But yeah, any music you have on the computer that is played through that card will sound pretty darn good. You can also use it as a DAC if you want, by hooking a CD player into it's optical input and using it's analog output (with that cable I told you about). When you do that, however, you have to switch the card's "clock" from internal to external and source it off of the digital input.

But, you'll probably not appreciate any improvement unless you're feeding it into a decent set of audio equipment - two lil' ole plastic computer speakers won't do it the justice it deserves.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
speakerman1 said:
Jerry sold me a nice sound card. Will this make better CD burns? Or is it for external use only? Just trying to get my head wrapped around this. Act like I am a child and explain it to me as if I am an idiot.

Larry
Okay, listen to me or you won't get supper...

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
orange said:
speakerman1 said:

Larry
Okay, listen to me or you won't get supper...

:lol: :lol: you took the words right outta my mouth :bootyshake: