Notre Dame cathedral is burning down!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
A national treasure in France. Very sad to see this burn to the ground. Especially during Holy Week.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Something is really effed up when new threads - like this one - don't show up in the active thread list to the right... (under latest posts)

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Something is really effed up when new threads - like this one - don't show up in the active thread list to the right... (under latest posts)
I see it there now and it's on the front page as well.

Latest posts means that there could be others going in that pushed it down the queue. Use the New popsts table and you should get all the current posts for 2 or so pages maybe including those that are older with posts you may not have read. You can also click the Unread x box in that list to see posts that you have read already.

orange

Tagline
Will we ever really know who started the fire?
It's know likely WHAT than WHO. The high school I went to had a gym floor that had been resurfaced and caught fire unattended in 1975. My uncle who we just buried Saturday helped organize the board that created the bond issue to rebuild the campus, and he also helped with the bond that completely modernized the entire school plant before he passed. Mom and I went past the schools on the way to his service and it was an incredible sight. I was all the more proud of him.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Been listening all day to AM news so this was mentioned lots. Supposedly the roof was being worked on. Speculation was that somehow started the fire. Don't think I'd like to be that contractor. Also said "art treasures" were saved.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Even though there has been an ongoing wave of catholic church vandalism in France, no way this could be arson?
How many members of the religion of peace were working on the church?

orange

Tagline
I wish conspiracy theorists out there would look up something like 'ruined cathedrals'...

They were made to be beautiful as a testament to the glory of God, nobody had sprinkler systems them, much less modern plumbing.

But sprinkler systems were not going to help for a roof fire.

The town I went to junior high and high school in had a huge fire in 1975, it started on the gym floor that had just been resurfaced. There are some things that just happen. Electrical wiring fails. You don't casually store or throw away rags soaked with volatile liquids (linseed oil comes to mind), it can spontaneously combust and this has caused so many fires but it doesn't occur to the user.

One really fortunate thing is that the fire alarm system was working and evacuation happened well before the visitors could actually detect that there was a real danger...I've heard people saying they were surprised and didn't at first believe it wasn't a false alarm.

As for guessing about conspiracies, it just burned yesterday. Nobody has had time to investigate anything and it takes time. There is no time for Sherlock Jrs. wanting attention.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Macron says they’ll rebuild in 10 years. It took about 100 originally.

EDIT:
Oops... he says five years now...

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
The word is that over 900 million dollars has been donated to the rebuilding efforts. :wav:

orange

Tagline
An interesting thing on Fox News Channel...two guests who had almost nothing but conspiracy theories were shut down by Fox anchors. Hmmmmm...