Nother Yamaha

avionic

Journeyman
Well, if it gets here in the same shape as the Ebay photos. It looked pretty damn clean. Amplifier powers up, protect relays set. Just no sound . I repaired and MX-1 about a month or two ago. Blown output transistor and 3-4 loose transistors (cold solder) on the rear input/voltage amplifier board. Maybe I'll get lucky with this one and be something very easy. Excellent sounding amplifier when its 100% functional.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I was GIVEN an M-80 with a bad channel and a C-60 to sell and help my cash situation, which I did.

The one channel was pretty awesome as it was and the C-60 had lots of problems. I think that series of preamps STUNK...it was because Yamaha had so many ICs that were proprietary or something and as a result people cannibalize them for parts more. But I like my CA-1000 (when it works) and I still have the tuner Larry sent, TX-480? and as I understand it Yamaha probably built my favorite 80s digital tuner for Pioneer (TX-950) but it also suffers from a poor design choice with these L shaped tabs that press down on the switches on the PCB BUT they want to break off at the front panel. A conventional panel with a switch board built in would have made my day...otherwise it's an excellent tuner.

The PCB is white with green printing and resembles a Yamaha job.

I'm almost sure that the Communication series cassette decks are Hitachi jobs...2 daughterboards from the main PCB and EVERY IC in the deck is HITACHI. Given the messed up tape drive that only rewinds regardless of the buttons pushed and the control board on the back of it, my first deck (a Sanyo) had one PCB, Metal capability, AMSS and Dolby with analog meters and the only faults I had with it were replacing the head once and tricky solenoids now and then...still used it more than 20 years.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Nice Dave!! One of my wanna haves. I've been using a CX-600U for a pre for several years now, it weighs like 3lbs and the build sucks, sounds very nice and I'm HUGE fan of Yamaha's variable loudness control!!

I sold my mint 800U amp for $275 when I was strapped for cash last year.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
These are supposed to be pretty stable down to 2 ohms for brief periods and the last 2 channel amps that Yamaha made with the advent of surround sound taking over consumer thoughts. I never had one but I had it's big brother B2 which was a pretty damn awesome amp

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
All my Yammies Amps are flawless performers, the TT is awesome and Now the C80 is finally making me a happy Wanker,wish I needed something fixed so I could see the new Weiner dog

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
The way Grandma drove Chrysler products my dad hated fixing them too.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
The way Grandma drove Chrysler products my dad hated fixing them too.
After some problems with my first (and only) Plymouth, my dad said, "If either of my sons ever buy another Chrysler product..." I did buy a Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt - loved that car, but the engine gave out. When a friend first laid eyes on it, he said, "Where are the bomb racks?"