Nice chat with Bob Boyer today

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Just re-read my article... some funny stuff in there!
Only a quart of oil, Jim?

Edit: two observations. First, all those Land Rovers and not a single roof top tent? Where's your sense of adventure? Second, Land Rover people are 'effing nuts. That is all. :toothy7:

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I did have a roof top tent... that one I lived in while in Africa in fact.

I sold it to John (with the green 110) and bought a newer, bigger one for a trip in 2009 to Labrador that didn’t happen as my dad died as we were about to leave.

Haven’t done many trips at all since then.

If you poke around on drive the globe you’ll see the Africa trip and others I went on up to 08. There are a ton of photos I took in Africa and some have made their way into the site. They are on film so they have to be scanned in. I shot 35 rolls of 36 exposure on my old Canon F-1. You could beat a bent rim back into shape with it and it wouldn’t lose timing...

Now I have the EOS-1d, which you can see a bit of in my “Kenney” photo earlier.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
God-amighty, F-1 Canons! My first big-time system. Two New F1s with AE finders, motor drives, a 17/4, 24/2, 35/2, 50 macro, 100/2.8, 200/2.8 and a 300/4.0. Four Vivitar 283s, a Domke F1 bag, stands, and a Gitzo tripod. You could drive tent stakes with those sumbitches. But after carrying them around for years (and adding a Mamiya 645 motor drive system and a Sinar F 4X5 with four lenses for architecture), I finally gave up and got a Contax G2 with a 21, 35, and a 90. Got an Olympus OM-4 with a 180/2.8 for my long lens. Good times!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Yep “new” F-1’s. I had AE finders as well as regular and the waist level (3x was it?) magnifier finder; a bunch of different focus screens, the motor drive with eight, I think it was, AA batteries, and all L lenses from 24 to 800. I have a picture I took just before selling it off slowly- it looked like a Canon catalogue shot!

My Last body was a back up in really nice shape that sold to a collector in Australia. I still have the sales book from ~1985 and I think the bare body (no motor or glass) was $700 then. I got everything used over many years. My first camera (cuz I didn’t have $700) was a pawn shop AE-1p. Worked fine but had the shutter speed dial issue from the strap rubbing (common on those).

Those were cool but the EOS is pure Roswell technology. I would like a full frame sensor body to make better use of my 16 ultra wide and fish eye. The 16 is basically a 24 due to the small sensor. But since I have no time I’m in no rush. Now and then I check what’s out there and I can upgrade to several generations newer for not much money.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Good to see nostalgia abounds with the pictures and accounts from Bob & Jim on power generating turbines.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
So, back onto the second topic, my D5, it will be on it's way back to me tomorrow morning. Full recap and apparently sounding OK.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
You are already recording with your Sony TC-D5M? Might have been a pretty tab to get it repaired.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It was less than The $2000 I was quoted by ESL.

I don’t have it yet. It ships in the morning.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Fun to see those photos from the trip, Jim. That must have been a really cool trip. Were you a company employee at that time or a paying customer?

* Film - how to separate the men from the boys.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Fun to see those photos from the trip, Jim. That must have been a really cool trip. Were you a company employee at that time or a paying customer?

* Film - how to separate the men from the boys.
I paid my way on the trip. Saved up vacation for two years and a leave on top of that. It was a few years later I started getting paid for photography.