Newbie with a D-500

ChrisWiggles

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hi.

I brought home this funky but beautiful Phase Linear D-500. I think I got a pretty solid deal on it, but they seem rather rare so I don't really know what it's worth or what they go for. I see much more the 400 and 700 models on ebay and the like. No D-500s.

I'm testing it out for a week, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it. It sounds AMAZING. :)

That all being said, it is my first real amplifier, and it's vintage. As far as I can see under the hood, it's all original, or very close to it. I think it's the original capacitors in there (YUGE!).

Should I just enjoy it until something maybe goes wrong some day?

Or should I have someone do some preventive maintenance/tweaks on this baby?

The fan runs constantly (even when turned off), so I think the temp sensor isn't right. edit: Also, I put a voltage meter on the fan leads, and it reads 120v ac? Really? I just always assumed these were all DC fans. Is this right...? Or am I an idiot and using my meter wrong. :)

And there is a crazy amount of electric vibration in the chassis. The top plate was buzzing like a space ship, I will have to dampen that somehow. Is that normal?

Anyway, I'm in some audio nirvana at the moment. I thought my flagship Denon receiver had plenty of juice for my nice but smallish Dynaudio bookshelf speakers, but I stand seriously corrected. They LOVE this big amp. And once I get some much bigger Dynaudios down the road, I think I'll be one very happy camper.

What wisdom do I need to know about this baby? I want to treat her right and stay with her for a long time if I can. :love4:

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Hi.

I brought home this funky but beautiful Phase Linear D-500. I think I got a pretty solid deal on it, but they seem rather rare so I don't really know what it's worth or what they go for. I see much more the 400 and 700 models on ebay and the like. No D-500s.

I'm testing it out for a week, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it. It sounds AMAZING. :)

That all being said, it is my first real amplifier, and it's vintage. As far as I can see under the hood, it's all original, or very close to it. I think it's the original capacitors in there (YUGE!).

Should I just enjoy it until something maybe goes wrong some day?

Or should I have someone do some preventive maintenance/tweaks on this baby?

The fan runs constantly (even when turned off), so I think the temp sensor isn't right. edit: Also, I put a voltage meter on the fan leads, and it reads 120v ac? Really? I just always assumed these were all DC fans. Is this right...? Or am I an idiot and using my meter wrong. :)

And there is a crazy amount of electric vibration in the chassis. The top plate was buzzing like a space ship, I will have to dampen that somehow. Is that normal?

Anyway, I'm in some audio nirvana at the moment. I thought my flagship Denon receiver had plenty of juice for my nice but smallish Dynaudio bookshelf speakers, but I stand seriously corrected. They LOVE this big amp. And once I get some much bigger Dynaudios down the road, I think I'll be one very happy camper.

What wisdom do I need to know about this baby? I want to treat her right and stay with her for a long time if I can. :love4:

welcome to the forum Chris.
The unit you have is a later production. What is the serial # for it? The fan is indeed 120 volt. Some people have shorted the heat sensor because it may be running hot. If it is running hot it is usually from incorrect Bias setting or problem in that system.

These all have transformer buzz. I have 5 of them and the only thing you can do is thighten up all the screws and bolts in it. The top and bottom covers sometimes have stripped screws and need to be fixed There are options to do that.

Check out my threads for a couple of builds posted here. http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/show...sing-from-the-ashes-quot-build?highlight=D500. http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showthread.php/7773-WOPL-dual-500

Last edited:

ChrisWiggles

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Thanks I will have to check out those other threads.

Yeah, not too sure on the actual build. Talking to Ed, it has the original transistors, and though the front panel says D-500 suggesting a later unit, the heat sink sticker says Dual 500 and serial number is 1009, suggesting only the 9th one off the line. So it's hard to say if may it just got a new faceplate along the way maybe?

I bought a sheet of thin adhesive Sorbothane, I'm going to cut a few strips off and put those down under the top plate and probably the bottom too if I can. That should help deaden a lot of the vibration in the chassis.

I got a replacement 120V fan today, and installed it, but the unit doesn't run hot so I'm not going to be using the fan anyway, I barely pull a few watts out of this thing. If I do get the fan sensor working right, I will also have to get some kind of regulator for the fan, because I didn't really pay attention when ordering it to CFM, and it just goes full blast when I plugged it in. Needs to be slowed down a lot, it's a quiet fan but not when blowing like a tornado!

I spent all night last night listening to my favorite records, and this thing just sounds incredible. It really is a much bigger upgrade than I expected it to be. I'm honestly surprised.

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Thanks I will have to check out those other threads.

Yeah, not too sure on the actual build. Talking to Ed, it has the original transistors, and though the front panel says D-500 suggesting a later unit, the heat sink sticker says Dual 500 and serial number is 1009, suggesting only the 9th one off the line. So it's hard to say if may it just got a new faceplate along the way maybe?

I bought a sheet of thin adhesive Sorbothane, I'm going to cut a few strips off and put those down under the top plate and probably the bottom too if I can. That should help deaden a lot of the vibration in the chassis.

I got a replacement 120V fan today, and installed it, but the unit doesn't run hot so I'm not going to be using the fan anyway, I barely pull a few watts out of this thing. If I do get the fan sensor working right, I will also have to get some kind of regulator for the fan, because I didn't really pay attention when ordering it to CFM, and it just goes full blast when I plugged it in. Needs to be slowed down a lot, it's a quiet fan but not when blowing like a tornado!

I spent all night last night listening to my favorite records, and this thing just sounds incredible. It really is a much bigger upgrade than I expected it to be. I'm honestly surprised.
Thanks for your information on the unit
the front panel and knobs are of the last production run. Yes that is an early serial number (I have 1002). That serial number would be branded a Dual500 in place of D500 on the face plate.

You defently have a winner there.

Last edited:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Hello Chris and welcome to PHX, and nice grab ya got there! As mentioned, you are in good hands with Ed, enjoy your new beast and don't be afraid to make it beastier :blob2::usa2::blob3: