New Tuner

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I bought an NAD tuner a few weeks ago, from a fellow a few blocks away, and it was mediocre. I took it off the Sanus rack and replaced it with my trusty old Proton 300. I know it's a table radio, and not a tuner in a strict sense, but I knew it had an excellent tuning section, and the amps (it's biamped) and speaker would just have to go along for the ride. Happily, it has a pre-out and tape in/out, so I connected it to the amp using the tape outs. FM is simply flawless with this unit, and that is without any of the usual tuner controls such as blend, mono, mute, or whatever - just the basic tuning knob! Three little lights tell you if you're on the frequency correctly, plus of course, the digital readout. Naturally I used the Grundig AN-200 antenna and Phillips PXT-1000 interconnects. The little LCD display of the amp even tells me that I'm using a tuner, and how cool is that?

Attachments

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Yup, that Proton is one heck of a decent set from what I understand, so I wouldn't doubt you for a minute on that...

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Steven, that Nikko unit I sent you will surely sound as good if it ever gets fixed. Any news on that?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I bought an NAD tuner a few weeks ago, from a fellow a few blocks away, and it was mediocre. I took it off the Sanus rack and replaced it with my trusty old Proton 300. I know it's a table radio, and not a tuner in a strict sense, but I knew it had an excellent tuning section, and the amps (it's biamped) and speaker would just have to go along for the ride. Happily, it has a pre-out and tape in/out, so I connected it to the amp using the tape outs. FM is simply flawless with this unit, and that is without any of the usual tuner controls such as blend, mono, mute, or whatever - just the basic tuning knob! Three little lights tell you if you're on the frequency correctly, plus of course, the digital readout. Naturally I used the Grundig AN-200 antenna and Phillips PXT-1000 interconnects. The little LCD display of the amp even tells me that I'm using a tuner, and how cool is that?
Nice! It is amazing how many "high end tuners" were just garbage.

It is a difficult task to make a really good tuner, takes great RF expertise that most of these audio companies did not have.

orange

Tagline
I have no idea yet, and I'm trying to get my niece's new system going for June 1st when her dad comes over to help and take it home.

orange

Tagline
I've found a section that might have a dead trace but like I said, I've been doing a lot of things (and being up too many nights) lately.