New Toy: BGW 750 B ...playing now!

Tagline
---
Finally I got a very good condition BGW 750B amplifier. Back in the 80's while attending college, I worked as a Disc Jockey at the old Ilusiones Disco in Puerto Rico. They got 3 BGW's amps with JBL speakers working all night long from Thursday to Sunday every week. These amps got abused, clipping into the "red" all night long and in my 2 years working there I never saw one going down. BGW became the disco era standard in almost every place replacing like a storm all Crown DC 300's. Durability, power and solid rock bottom were their forté.

El Magnifico 004.jpg 005.jpg

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Paella, I like paella.

I can see replacing the DC-300s but not the DC-300a. But they do offer more power for similar money. Both great amps with deserved reputations.

Nice that you have one in good shape now.

Tagline
---
Paella, I like paella.

I can see replacing the DC-300s but not the DC-300a. But they do offer more power for similar money. Both great amps with deserved reputations.

Nice that you have one in good shape now.
Yes, the DC 300A indeed were all replaced in the discoteques by the BGW 750, a classic and a standard in those arenas. I do have 2 DC 300A with cabinets and 5 D 150A. These BGW's were a newer design, more reliable and powerful than the Crowns. That's why the changed it. The same happened in the PRO Audio when Phase Linear came out with their 700's Professional Series with a more rugged chassis and 3 times the power. Then, came the Crown Micro and Macro Tech line and the rest is history...but, Crest Audio and QSC rapidly became the standard in live sound applications.

So, for domestic applications I choose the DC 300A hands down, but for live sound or PA, the BGW make circles around it.

Attachments

Tagline
---
Nice pre-amp too.....
The old fabled Pioneer SPEC 1. By the 70's those lucky guys who could have a Spec series combo at home, rapidly became the king of the block! The Spec 1 price in 1978 was $600.00 !!!! But then came Mr. Carver with his C 4000 and put an end to Pioneer's kingdom. I do have both and definitely the Carver sounds a hair better. Anyway, it's a newer design for a different era. I like both.

Attachments

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Looks like an awesome amp and in really nice condition. Congrats! Is that one of those amps that can be scored on eBay for prices that are not out of control?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Looks like an awesome amp and in really nice condition. Congrats! Is that one of those amps that can be scored on eBay for prices that are not out of control?
They can be had dirt cheap, a lot of bang for the buck

Tagline
---
In the same price range as the DC 300A. It all depends on the model. A good 750 B is hard to find in good condition because it was their most popular model and most were hardly abused in pro applications. I could say between $200.00 and $400.00 for this model is a rule.

Northwinds

Tagline
Tagline
---
I wasn't crapping on the amp man, $300-500 for a solid power amp is a pretty damn good bargain. Here's a nice analog metered one in Canada. What do these weigh? I'd love to try one

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649002373-bgw_750b_legendary_power_amp/
It's very heavy. Over 60 lbs packed. This 750 B is harder to find than those without meters. Prepare to pay over $100.00 in shipping alone. Also remember, that these amps has a noisy fan because they were intended for pro-audio and not for domestic use. If you are going to use it in your audio room, be aware.

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I wasn't crapping on the amp man, $300-500 for a solid power amp is a pretty damn good bargain. Here's a nice analog metered one in Canada. What do these weigh? I'd love to try one

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649002373-bgw_750b_legendary_power_amp/
Hey, that was my ad! I absolutely love those amps. They still sound good today. If you find the fan noisy, replace it if it`s original as the bearings are probably worn. I placed a 300r resistor in series with the fan which further reduced noise but that may not be an option for you living PR.
BTW, where in PR are you located? Looks like you have a nice v.3 there El Magnifico, enjoy it.

Tagline
---
Hey, that was my ad! I absolutely love those amps. They still sound good today. If you find the fan noisy, replace it if it`s original as the bearings are probably worn. I placed a 300r resistor in series with the fan which further reduced noise but that may not be an option for you living PR.
BTW, where in PR are you located? Looks like you have a nice v.3 there El Magnifico, enjoy it.
Thanks for the advise! I'm on the EAST Coast. Well, once I pop up the volume I don't hear the fan anymore, ha!

Northwinds

Tagline
I've been to Ponce, probably have a few kids down there that I don't know about LOL

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The old fabled Pioneer SPEC 1. By the 70's those lucky guys who could have a Spec series combo at home, rapidly became the king of the block! The Spec 1 price in 1978 was $600.00 !!!! But then came Mr. Carver with his C 4000 and put an end to Pioneer's kingdom. I do have both and definitely the Carver sounds a hair better. Anyway, it's a newer design for a different era. I like both.

Then there is something wrong with the Spec. Echowars has some recommended changes to the Spec that take it up another level. I did all 3 of mine and wouldn't trade em for the world now.