New to the forum

ChrisAZ

New Around These Parts
Hello I’m new to the forum and interested in diving into the WOPL world. I’m considering purchasing a phase liner 400 or 700 to have modified and not sure which would best for my speakers’ needs. I’m right in the middle of building an all tube driven high efficiency vintage system but got sidetracked with some ADS l910 speakers in my solid state bedroom setup. I’ll probably start a new thread about that specifically. Anyway, looking forward to learning about these phase linear amps.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
The Phase Linear 400 Series II is probably the best amplifier ever made in the price/power category and is more than adequate for your bedroom system. These amplifiers are common on ebay. Find one that is cosmetically appealing because we have all the internal parts available now.
Additionally, it is a better unit to 'learn' on; a bit simpler and requiring less parts.

Once you have that upgrade behind you, you can select an appropriate Phase Linear 700B or PL700 Series II for upgrading. I say that because if you find one now below $1000.00, buy it. These amplifier are investments in the future; they are not making them anymore...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The Phase Linear 400 Series II is probably the best amplifier ever made in the price/power category and is more than adequate for your bedroom system. These amplifiers are common on ebay. Find one that is cosmetically appealing because we have all the internal parts available now.
Additionally, it is a better unit to 'learn' on; a bit simpler and requiring less parts.

Once you have that upgrade behind you, you can select an appropriate Phase Linear 700B or PL700 Series II for upgrading. I say that because if you find one now below $1000.00, buy it. These amplifier are investments in the future; they are not making them anymore...
And ONLY buy an 8 fin PL400, not the early 4 fin units...

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Agree. I did a 400/II first- remarkable results, absolutely great. I then went on to a 700/II, and was actually shocked by the difference in power. The 400 tops anything you can buy now, not only regarding power, but in detail in the low frequencies. No muddy bass! And the highs were nice and crisp, too. You can’t get anything like these amps anywhere.

The 700… What can I say? All of the above times two!