New Satriani

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
You get it yet Tony? I been laying off the music purchases lately. Fishing trip is coming. The want list of new music grows during this season. :laughing9: The new Volbeat, is another I need to grab yet.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
You get it yet Tony? I been laying off the music purchases lately. Fishing trip is coming. The want list of new music grows during this season. :laughing9: The new Volbeat, is another I need to grab yet.
Got it and running through it with the trusty old tube-fed cans right now!

So far it's fresh! :rr:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Just finished up..

First impressions:

Many a fresh approach, and a handful of tracks that I'll honestly say are a bit of a shocker. There's a few funky tracks, some light-duty piano in there on one - WTH? - and two I'd say are completely new direction type tracks.
I always look forward to being grabbed by three or four songs on each release and I can say definitively that the dude has done it again. Still early, as many of his albums require repeated listens
and certainly open-air with the sub on is going to present a different impact - - not to mention the transformation I expect laying down my favorites onto tape. I can say this though, this
is the first album in quite a while that doesn't sound spectacular through my tube/headphone amp and I blame part of that on the engineering & layers.
Heard some Chickenfoot bleed over influence at points in there too.

Opens up strong, takes some interesting twists & turns throughout and then seems to peter out in what I would characterize as an unfinished package.

There a few timing change ups that blew me away and one particular song where the lead break-out is completely blazing fresh but unfortunately the rest of the song (end-caps) is sort of lame,
but again it's early and I've not listened to this
on my speakers..

Unstoppable.jpg

You can check out the full album on boobTube here:

unaffiliated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5c5B7p-tOI
unaffiliated

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks for the review, Tony. I like to hear comments to sort of scope out whether I would buy the CD. When I get a new CD from an old favourite (artist, or band) I can, usually, tell by the first 20 seconds of each of the songs how an album rates. I have the habit of playing the intros on each of the tracks, before I settle down to listening to the whole shebangs. After playing the album a few times, I find some tracks which I felt were middle-of-the-pack now becoming better.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Developing impressions..

Multi-listening required on this disc!
Still think it opens up strong & awesome; always like it when the first song is a slam dunk.
The first four songs are power-houses and their order is untouchable IMHO..

Upon repeated listening with various headphone attempts and EQ manipulation, I'm still convinced
that this isn't entirely a "cans" production. A few songs are a bit too toppy and I'm noticing sibilance
on a few of the later tracks due to the way they were engineered. Not a huge thing but the presence
and spacial representation open-air is much more enjoyable to my ears. I'm sure the warming process
of laying these songs down onto some Type IV will help to smooth out the rough edges.

I put this album almost up there with this short list of my all-time favorites:

'Crystal Planet'
'Engines of Creation'
'Is There Love in Space'
'The Extremist'
'Flying Through a Blue Dream'

and of course -

'Surfing With the Alien'.

There's a gob of new approaches, techniques and arrangement on this album;
much less predictable than most of Joe's albums of last 10 or 12 years.

What is a small distraction to me is the fizzle of song choices and their order on the back-side of the listening experience;
I would have arranged things differently but that's the beauty of tape -

I can fix that little problem! :p

80% of this album will mix well with a handful of favorite tracks from his last 3 albums..

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks, Tony. That's a thumbs-up for this latest Satriani release.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
My favorite by him is Flying In A Blue Dream.
Similar sound or completely different ??
There are some similarities Rat; dude's older so he's not
as rambunctious but there is some break-out moments
that remind me of 'Blue Dream..

Like I mentioned, and I'm a huge fan, this new one
is right up there with the favorites listed! It's definitely
worth the price of admission!

:occasion8: