New release from Jethro Tull

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Mark, is $55 for 2 Red Vinyl LP's, a CD, and the book expensive? I didn't think it was that far out.... Even for JT :)
The 3x white vinyl is ridiculous. Just personal opinion, but after “A Passion Play” I lost interest in the band. The CD is the only reasonably priced offering…

Fixed income also plays a part of where my money goes.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The 3x white vinyl is ridiculous. Just personal opinion, but after “A Passion Play” I lost interest in the band. The CD is the only reasonably priced offering…

Damn, I thought X2 was 2 albums..... Yer right, too high

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
The 3x white vinyl is ridiculous. Just personal opinion, but after “A Passion Play” I lost interest in the band. The CD is the only reasonably
I agree, Passion Play killed my interest in JT. I was enamoured by Aqualung but disappointed by Thick as a Brick.

Stand Up and Benefit was their best stuff. And neither sounds stale to me yet.

But having said that, I liked reading the inside gatefold cartoon strip when listening to Too Old to Rock & Roll, Too Young to Die.

I did by used copies of some of latter Tull albums fairly recently , Heavy Horses, Storm Bringer and another one. Played them once and likely never again.

Learning of a new release does make me curious though.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I agree, Passion Play killed my interest in JT. I was enamoured by Aqualung but disappointed by Thick as a Brick.

Stand Up and Benefit was their best stuff. And neither sounds stale to me yet.

But having said that, I liked reading the inside gatefold cartoon strip when listening to Too Old to Rock & Roll, Too Young to Die.

I did by used copies of some of latter Tull albums fairly recently , Heavy Horses, Storm Bringer and another one. Played them once and likely never again.

Learning of a new release does make me curious though.

It is too bad when great bands lose their winning formula and stop creating good music when they once did. Creating lightning is difficult...

MarkWComer

Tagline
The remaster of “Passion Play” was pretty good in my opinion. I liked the story line, a man who died and was bored with heaven, wanted to be with his friends in hell. Additional lyrics in the mix were nice, but still scratching my head over “The Hare who Lost his Spectacles.” What was that all about??

I equate “Brick” with a William Blake poem about coming of age set to music. Atypical of an album of pop songs, interesting exploration, but granted- not really a “rock” album that would find a lot of acceptance.

Everything prior to those were great music, every album after seemed to have one good song in the collection of ten. What happened to them?

That’s my main objection to the price. Not willing to pay that much for two songs. I haven’t sampled any of it and I’m not even curious enough.

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I'd say it's the "industry" (such as it is) as a whole now.

Historically, like pre-CD, you'd get a record (or tape) and play it through. You might have songs you like or dislike, but you could make it through a record complete.

Now, it's a rare record that (me personally anyway) can get through without skipping songs.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Unfortunately, the old radio music director in me never tolerated listening to an album all the way through - then or now. But I'll agree, it's worse now. I ocasionally find a gem from an obscure Americana artist I can listen through, but it's pretty rare. Songwriting has gone far downhill since the Swedish pop-writing consortia started showing the world how to write formulaic tunes by recycling riffs through multiple songs. KPop made it far worse and we've never recovered, frankly.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
How did these one hit wonders of the 90’s tour? Doing covers?

They sold records full of crap and went on tour to promote the crap. The “hit” will be the finale, so, 40-odd minutes of music no one wants to hear?

At least a band like ‘Tull can fall back on their over-played hits to fill out a show. But if you have one (stinkin’) record, whatcha gonna play?!?

MarkWComer

Tagline
How did these one hit wonders of the 90’s tour? Doing covers?

They sold records full of crap and went on tour to promote the crap. The “hit” will be the finale, so, 40-odd minutes of music no one wants to hear?

At least a band like ‘Tull can fall back on their over-played hits to fill out a show. But if you have one (stinkin’) record, whatcha gonna play?!?
The DiVinyls had three albums out before “I Touch Myself” hit the charts, then disappeared.
Pink Floyd had two albums out and are suddenly doing movie soundtracks.
Who knows how or why these things happen…

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I have seen Tull 3 times now. After Bouree came out, after Aqualung came out and most recently about 6-7 years ago at a small venue in Boston to see if the old man could still play a flute. They were the opening band for Procol Harum at that show :)

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I have seen Tull 3 times now. After Bouree came out, after Aqualung came out and most recently about 6-7 years ago at a small venue in Boston to see if the old man could still play a flute. They were the opening band for Procol Harum at that show :)
How did the old man do? Opening act is a big step down.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
How did the old man do? Opening act is a big step down.
Anderson was not the man that he used to be. Rather disappointing compared to my college day remembrances of Tull. Procol Harum was the main event that I really wanted to see as I had never seen them in the heyday. Brooker still was spot on and the vocals were great, amazingly.