New Preamp

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Some weeks ago, I bought a used FX Audio 6J1 preamp. It's very simple, with one input and one output. I replaced the stock Chinese tubes with new-old-stock joint-army-navy Sylvania 5654W tubes. There was an ear-itating hum however, and it was there with all the power supplies I tried. Then, I rigged up a pure DC power supply with eight C-cells in series. Dead silence! Now the thing is just glorious! What do you all think of that?

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
You like the preample for it's constitution?

Just remember that dollar store D cells are almost a luxury item now that they give you just 2 instead of 3...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Some weeks ago, I bought a used FX Audio 6J1 preamp. It's very simple, with one input and one output. I replaced the stock Chinese tubes with new-old-stock joint-army-navy Sylvania 5654W tubes. There was an ear-itating hum however, and it was there with all the power supplies I tried. Then, I rigged up a pure DC power supply with eight C-cells in series. Dead silence! Now the thing is just glorious! What do you all think of that?

I think DC powered pre's are the shit

Lazarus Short

Tagline
You like the preample for it's constitution?

Just remember that dollar store D cells are almost a luxury item now that they give you just 2 instead of 3...
A constitution? You must have meant a "preamble." I didn't even get a manual with it.

orange

Tagline
A constitution? You must have meant a "preamble." I didn't even get a manual with it.
No, preAMPle.

And you definitely DON'T want any ripple in your power supply. Save it allllll for Laz!

orange

Tagline
If you ever get bored of that, MD20/20 (Mad Dog) comes in several Day-Glo colors as well.

orange

Tagline
That's why God invented Mountain Dew for you and me and Cale Yarborough's Buick .

Oh crap, it was Darrell Waltrip's car.

I SWEAR my last Senior Moment was marching next to my old HS girlfriend to get my diploma in 1984, honest!

orange

Tagline
I can only find diet Shasta in COLA. Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper is not always easy to find.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I can only find diet Shasta in COLA. Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper is not always easy to find.
I remember back when my then-wife and I were managing a health-food store...one day a woman came in with a cigarette in one hand and a Pepsi in the other. She wanted something for the "symptoms." Diet sodas are NOT good for you.

orange

Tagline
Remember that the first homeowners violated the HOA rules on gardening and were evicted, then one son killed the other and the Hood was born...it's all downhill from there.

orange

Tagline
Then the grey alien in the labcoat pressed his paddles against Lazarus and said in Betelguesian, "Get up, you'll get my bill in the mail"!

orange

Tagline
I don't have a Seeburg, I have to change the side myself!