New PL400 Full WOPL Build

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
I have started the process of upgrading a PL400 and looking forward to gaining input and feedback from the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

I plan a full WOPL upgrade with DCP board, new RCA jacks, new bridge rectifier with snubber caps, new thermal switch, isolated Xfmr bolts, new AGC fuse holders, and IEC power inlet socket. I have all winter for this build and plan to take my time reading all Joe's installation documents (multiple times) and existing informative build threads for input.

This amp has a very special place in my journey to audio bliss. My father purchased new in the late 70's and I spent my entire youth listening to this amp combined with a Marantz Model 3800 preamp. I am rebuilding this amp for my father now that he has shown an interest in rediscovering his vinyl collection.

Here is what I have to work with:

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Get a new chassis so you don't have to monkey with cutting a hole for the IEC socket. Plus, you'll eliminate the source of metal shards coming off the sheet metal screws and falling on the boards causing BIG PROBLEMS. They are cheap insurance

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Get a new chassis so you don't have to monkey with cutting a hole for the IEC socket. Plus, you'll eliminate the source of metal shards coming off the sheet metal screws and falling on the boards causing BIG PROBLEMS. They are cheap insurance
was just going to suggest that!!!

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Welcome Hexis 22,
Your 400 is super clean, and obviously very well cared for. I totally understand the connection you have to it.
Many of us have long standing personal history with the equipment as we painstakingly breathe new life into them.
Rest assured that the journey will be as much fun as listening to the final product. The WOPL modifications will truly impress you,
every time you turn the amp on. The thermal paste cleanup is my least favorite part of a complete rebuild. On assembly you will use
modern sil-pads and none of that nasty paste. I believe Joe recently posted the recommended update list for the 400 here.
The kits that Joe has put together are first class, exceptional quality, down to every detail. The BOM and instructions are also very thorough.
The amount of talent and experience here is second to none, and many of us have built several (or many) amps.
Take your time, ask questions, and you will find out for yourself why we enjoy the camaraderie here so much.
Enjoy!

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
P.S.
The new chassis has everything the original does not, highly recommended.
Superb quality......
You will still have to clean that nasty paste off o_O.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Check out the sheet metal holes in the top of the chassis. See the missing sluffed metal? That's what your new amp will do without a new chassis.
Agree, metal slivers from the housing falling into the interior is not a great condition.

Has anyone tried drilling out the chassis screw holes and JB welding nuts on the underside for use of machine screws for holding the top and bottom covers?

I realize WOAD provides new chassis components, but enjoy the challenges of this hands-on project and trying to limit costs for things within my ability to update.

Thanks for all the ideas for consideration.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
The stock chassis has very little room to run the wires correctly, top and bottom.
I made it work on my 700's but it is tight, I left one screw out on each side, so I
did not have an issue. The new backplanes really crowd that space for a neat wire run.
Like I mentioned that thermal paste on the fins, and in the chassis holes is my absolute
least favorite part of the build.
What you will find with anything from White Oak (Joe's design) is that it is the highest
quality, and designed by a man who knows these amplifiers literally inside and out. There are many
people on the forum who have also contributed their ideas, to "Always working on making it better... "
The end product is truly a work of art.

Attachments