New martin Logans

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Over the years, Martin Logan has made some really great speakers. I'm still using a pair of Sequels that I purchased new around 1982. Still working great, inspite of the fact that I use to drive them pretty hard. I now mainly use them for "easier going music" and use other speakers, for the rock music, that my wife and I enjoy the most.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Right on hayabusa! A man after my heart :love4:

I owned Sequels too, there was something very special about the early models that just sounded so right! Huge strides have been made in Logan land and these new ones seem very, very nice,I found a pic from CES and Day um they're Beautiful !!!!

Martin Logan Renaissance.jpg

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Those are awesome looking stats but like you, they cost more then I would spend, at this point in my life. However, I sure would like to hear them!

I still remember paying $2,200 for the Sequels which at the time, was a pretty significant amount of money. I bought a new pair of Magnapans 1.7's last year which will probably be the last new pair of speakers that I will buy. I also have Quad ESL-63's and Infinity Servo-Stats so I should be good to go, in the speaker department.....Maybe. :toothy5:

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Those are awesome looking stats but like you, they cost more then I would spend, at this point in my life. However, I sure would like to hear them!

I still remember paying $2,200 for the Sequels which at the time, was a pretty significant amount of money. I bought a new pair of Magnapans 1.7's last year which will probably be the last new pair of speakers that I will buy. I also have Quad ESL-63's and Infinity Servo-Stats so I should be good to go, in the speaker department.....Maybe. :toothy5:
hayabusa,
You have the Infinity Servo-Statik's? I ran them back in the '70s when I lived just a couple of miles from where they were built.
They were the rage in SoCal. The back room of the stereo shop where I purchased mine was full of trade ins: Altecs, Klipschorns,Ar's, Bose, Jbl's etc. There was nothing that sound like Infinity's first speaker.
I tried them with different amps of the time: Phase Linear, SAE, and finally settled for the BGW. It was tough to keep running
back then. They had there problems, but man did they sound amazing.
I would love to hear about yours, how you have kept them playing, and can we see some pics?

Last edited:

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
hayabusa,
You have the Infinity Servo-Statik's? I ran them back in the '70s when I lived just a couple of miles from where they were built.
They were the rage in SoCal. The back room of the stereo shop where I purchased mine was full of trade ins: Altecs, Klipschorns,Ar's, Bose, Jbl's etc. There was nothing that sound like Infinity's first speaker.
I tried them with different amps of the time: Phase Linear, SAE, and finally settled for the BGW. It was tough to keep running
back then. They had there problems, but man did they sound amazing.
I would love to hear about yours, how you have kept them playing, and can we see some pics?
JustMike, yes, I have a complete and fully working Servo-Stat system with the correct 18" sub and amplifier. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow. However, I just purchased an iPad pro and I'm just starting to learn how to use it. Hopefully, it will be easy for me to post the pictures.

Regarding the stats, I purchased them several years ago in working condition. However, since then, I have completely redone the electronics. I built a custom high voltage board and upgraded the audio output and power transformers. I also recoated the electrostatic panels with Licron Crystal spray. That really improved the sound level output. As you will see when I post some pics, they are quite a thing of beauty, covered in the original Rosewood veneer. They also sounds amazing.

Being these speakers are are tri-amped, it's whole lot of fun hooking them up. I have a WOPL 400, McIntosh 2205, Nakamichi PA7a II, Audio Research VT150SE mono blocks and an Onkyo M-504 as my current list of higher powered amplifies. At times, I could probably use even more power! I'm seriously thinking about getting a PL700 and doing the WOPL upgrades. Just haven't run across one in a condition and price, worthy of doing the White Oaks upgrades.

I'll work on posting some pics tomorrow.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I'm waiting with baited breath dude for the pics!! Where about do you live? I must hear these Infinity's for my bucket list!!

I also must ask what amp you run with the ML Sequels

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm waiting with baited breath dude for the pics!! Where about do you live? I must hear these Infinity's for my bucket list!!

I also must ask what amp you run with the ML Sequels
First off, let me apologize for the bad pics. I had to move the speakers into this position to take the pics because I rotate them into usage. Also, no matter how hard I tried, I could not orient the one pic correctly or make all of them, larger. I still have a lot to learn about using my new iPad.

stuwee, I'm now located in Michigan but I did live in California from 1972-78.

Most of the time, I run the Sequels using my Audio Research VT-150SE monoblocks. They are tube amps rated at 130 watts. They are an awesome combo with the Sequels for a somewhat lower listening level. However, for rock or higher spl, I will use any of my higher powered SS amps.

Attachments

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Thank You for posting the pictures of your Servo-Statiks. The pics just don't show how beautiful the rosewood cabinets are. You
need to see them in person. I would bet very few people have ever heard these wonderful speakers. I wonder how many still exist
in working or restorable condition. I wished I had never let mine get away. I looked for years for another set but still havn't found
a complete set as of yet for sale. I do have a nice bass amp/crossover. Whats hard to find is the sub unit as you know.
When you were living in California is when I owned my set. Crazy. I traded them back in when I moved to Norcal in '74.

How do they sound with digital music? I had mine too early for such things, but at the time sounded amazing with my Thorens and a
Rabco Sl-8e Linear arm.
Cheers buddy and thanks again for sharing.

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thank You for posting the pictures of your Servo-Statiks. The pics just don't show how beautiful the rosewood cabinets are. You
need to see them in person. I would bet very few people have ever heard these wonderful speakers. I wonder how many still exist
in working or restorable condition. I wished I had never let mine get away. I looked for years for another set but still havn't found
a complete set as of yet for sale. I do have a nice bass amp/crossover. Whats hard to find is the sub unit as you know.
When you were living in California is when I owned my set. Crazy. I traded them back in when I moved to Norcal in '74.

How do they sound with digital music? I had mine too early for such things, but at the time sounded amazing with my Thorens and a
Rabco Sl-8e Linear arm.
Cheers buddy and thanks again for sharing.
You are very welcome. I agree, unfortunately the pics just didn't do them any justice. It was the first time I used the camera feature and I must be doing something wrong. There are some much nicer pics of them on Audiokarma under " show us your Infinity speakers" if you care to check them out.

I do believe they are pretty rare being I have only seen one other complete set. They were quite pricey for their time which probably adds to the rarity. You were very fortunate to of had a pair back in the day when they were new. At that time, there was no way I could have afforded them. However, while I lived in California, I did purchase my McIntosh 2205 at place called "Stereo Hi-Fi Center" on Hawthorne Blvd. in Torrance. Maybe you remember that store.

No problem with digital, they sound great!

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
I would love to here them. I bet they do sound un-real with digital source recordings also. And I would like to here Stuwee's
ML's with the SAE amp. I'm an old fan of SAE.
I purchased my Servo-Statiks from Walt Lewsadder at Woodland Stereo in the San Fernando Vally CA. Walt was such a great guy,
and a good friend.
You could take home anything you wanted to try out or he would come and set it up for you. Thati s what he did for me when I traded
in my old system for the Servos-Stats. I still have some of the gear I bought from Walt back in those days and a Win Labs cartridge
he gave to me as a gift when I left SoCal and headed north .
Yes they were big bucks back then. I was lucky enough to be making a good income to have them for a couple of years. If they would have fit in my old '56 Chevy Nomad wagon along with all the other gear and stuff I had packed in there, I might still have them. But I
traded them back to Walt for some other gear which some I still have. My Macintosh 2505, Mr67, C28, SAE 2400 and my super rare Bogen DS265
tube amp and Pr2 preamp, along with a pair of kind of rare Infinity monitor Jr's. And my Phase Linears and University 315c speakers.
I even had a lazer that I got from Walt that Arnie had gave him back then.

You have probably read all about Arnie and John, the founders of Infinity but if anyone is interested in how the Servo driven Woofer
and Stats came to be, this is a good read.
Cheers,
Mike
http://www.stereophile.com/content/arnie-nudell-here-infinity

Last edited:

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I would love to here them. I bet they do sound un-real with digital source recordings also. And I would like to here Stuwee's
ML's with the SAE amp. I'm an old fan of SAE.
I purchased my Servo-Statiks from Walt Lewsadder at Woodland Stereo in the San Fernando Vally CA. Walt was such a great guy,
and a good friend.
You could take home anything you wanted to try out or he would come and set it up for you. Thati s what he did for me when I traded
in my old system for the Servos-Stats. I still have some of the gear I bought from Walt back in those days and a Win Labs cartridge
he gave to me as a gift when I left SoCal and headed north .
Yes they were big bucks back then. I was lucky enough to be making a good income to have them for a couple of years. If they would have fit in my old '56 Chevy Nomad wagon along with all the other gear and stuff I had packed in there, I might still have them. But I
traded them back to Walt for some other gear which some I still have. My Macintosh 2505, Mr67, C28, SAE 2400 and my super rare Bogen DS265
tube amp and Pr2 preamp, along with a pair of kind of rare Infinity monitor Jr's. And my Phase Linears and University 315c speakers.
I even had a lazer that I got from Walt that Arnie had gave him back then.

You have probably read all about Arnie and John, the founders of Infinity but if anyone is interested in how the Servo driven Woofer
and Stats came to be, this is a good read.
Cheers,
Mike
http://www.stereophile.com/content/arnie-nudell-here-infinity

I had not read that article for some time so thanks for sharing the link and the other fascinating information.

Seems like we might have a lot in common. I still have my McIntosh 2205, MR 77 and I sold my C- 28 and bought a C-33. Bought it all new "back in the day".

Speaking of having something that came from Arnie, my Audio Research VT-150SE amps were supposedly his. They were the first two produced when they came out in 1994. They came in the original shipping boxes and were shipped from Audio Research to Infinity in Colorado. The shipping label says attn:........Arnie Nudell.

Last edited: