New CDP

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
No it doesn't, it SKIPS.

I guess I need to find the link to the site the explains fixing these things.

Leave the lid off and change the darn disc while you're at it.

Report back of the behavior in the and get a picture of the tray part.

There may screws to adjust if the clamp is wonky but on the other hand the disc may be the culprit and the clamp show up at the START by wobbling, even the CD going 'backwards'.

I'm not an expert on laser diodes and servos.

Use a commercial release, not a CD-R.

gamve

Journeyman
It should read whatever you throw at it. If it skips it probably needs either a new laser or a laser realignment. You need to find someone experienced in setting up lasers. This usually needs a test disc of some sorts and a scope to do properly.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
When it was on my bench it was perfect. I brought it in the house and it starts to skip. I have played only real CDs. not CDRs. They don't skip on my other CDPs. The last time I sent a Carver CDP to be fixed I never saw it again.

Larry

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Sorry can't help you out much. I had two Carver CDP's about 15 years ago and both did the same thing yours does. I never had them repaired because in those Pre-ebay days they were selling for about $25 locally. My two ended in the curbside garbage pickup and the scavengers grabbed them before the city could. Maybe you have one of the ones I tossed? :joker:

orange

Tagline
speakerman1 said:
When it was on my bench it was perfect. I brought it in the house and it starts to skip. I have played only real CDs. not CDRs. They don't skip on my other CDPs. The last time I sent a Carver CDP to be fixed I never saw it again.

Larry
Can't Nakdoc fix it?

speakerman1

Tagline
orange said:
speakerman1 said:

Larry
Can't Nakdoc fix it?
The last time I sent a Carver CDP to be fixed I never saw it again.

Hope that answers your question.

Larry

orange

Tagline
speakerman1 said:
orange said:
speakerman1 said:

Larry
Can't Nakdoc fix it?
The last time I sent a Carver CDP to be fixed I never saw it again.

Hope that answers your question.

Larry
Not totally. If your read assembly or servo is bad the parts aren't so expensive. It requiresand oscilloscope and stuff but there is a sBay store called Liberty Electronics who has lots of laser and hybrid IC amp stuff and seems reasonable. I send more details later. I must sleep.

speakerman1

Tagline
Well I have found a Califoria Audio Labs CDP and an Audio Alchemy transport wirth power supply that is broken. Both have gotten good reviews. I may go with the Audio Alchemy and get a Music Hall DAC. Does any one here think they could fix the Alchemy?
Thanks
Larry

elroy

New Around These Parts
I saw a sony 770es tray cdp, at goodwill, it was in nice shape, the wood sides looked nice, coulda got it for $10 bux, but I dont need another cdp. now that I think about it, I should have nabbed it. and sent it to larry

orange

Tagline
speakerman1 said:
Well I have found a Califoria Audio Labs CDP and an Audio Alchemy transport wirth power supply that is broken. Both have gotten good reviews. I may go with the Audio Alchemy and get a Music Hall DAC. Does any one here think they could fix the Alchemy?
Thanks
Larry
I can't even afford it's license and tags. :laughing8:

speakerman1

Tagline
Thanks Elroy. Orange your just funny. LOL I don't go real high and I may just be browsing. I have so much money leaving my hands so fast right now. If anything I buy it will be cheap.

Larry