Need hi end hi efficiency tweeters

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
I am looking for 2 hi end hi efficiency tweeters for two way system crossover @ 3200. Efficiency rated right around 100. Something warm and musical that will hold onto the cymbal ring and decay. Some type of vintage take outs would be great. Who has some ideas??

Ric:glasses2:

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I am looking for 2 hi end hi efficiency tweeters for two way system crossover @ 3200. Efficiency rated right around 100. Something warm and musical that will hold onto the cymbal ring and decay. Some type of vintage take outs would be great. Who has some ideas??

Ric:glasses2:
I don't know if you're gonna ever get an efficiency of 100 with anything- usually it's only between .5 to 10% maximum. Horns are more efficient than dynamic cones or domes- between 10- 20%, not sure about Infinity's EMIT, or electrostatics. I don't think piezos even get that high in efficiency, but they do have a certain "sparkle" about them, but have strange electrical characteristics- use with caution!

95 to 102 db for 1W at 1m is only between 4 - 10%!

So- you're mounting them in a cabinet? Ceiling mounted "satellite" tweeters?

Have a look here:
http://www.klipsch.com/Education/speaker-sensitivity
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-sensitivity
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-efficiency.htm

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Ric, I have a pair of T-35 horns, but I think they are usually used in 3-way systems. I also have a pair of EPI Goldrings, with the inverted, fabric domes. I don't know the efficiency or frequency range of either, but if you are interested, I'd make you a good price. I can post photos if you like.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
I don't know if you're gonna ever get an efficiency of 100 with anything- usually it's only between .5 to 10% maximum. Horns are more efficient than dynamic cones or domes- between 10- 20%, not sure about Infinity's EMIT, or electrostatics. I don't think piezos even get that high in efficiency, but they do have a certain "sparkle" about them, but have strange electrical characteristics- use with caution!

95 to 102 db for 1W at 1m is only between 4 - 10%!

So- you're mounting them in a cabinet? Ceiling mounted "satellite" tweeters?

Have a look here:
http://www.klipsch.com/Education/speaker-sensitivity
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-sensitivity
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-efficiency.htm
Mark, what I meant to say was 100 db @ 1w @ 1M two way system 3200 crossover in cabinet
R

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Ric, I have a pair of T-35 horns, but I think they are usually used in 3-way systems. I also have a pair of EPI Goldrings, with the inverted, fabric domes. I don't know the efficiency or frequency range of either, but if you are interested, I'd make you a good price. I can post photos if you like.
I really do need to know the rating in order to match the woofer.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mark, what I meant to say was 100 db @ 1w @ 1M two way system 3200 crossover in cabinet
R
WHOOPS! I misunderstood... Propose a new emoticon for myself: )°( (representation of a butthole...)

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman

What about a pair of Peavey Versarray Tweeters? RD 1.6 is a very hi efficiency tweeter but I am not sure of any of the specs other than it is 97db

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mark, I should have used the the tech term sensitivity or SLP. My fault. :shaking2:
I share the fault, forgive me for assuming that I thought you were a newbie who didn't know much about speakers. I still own up to the butthole emoticon...

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Any info on SPL Rating? Thanks $? PM?
All I know is that the set of speakers could handle up to 150w and the speakers themselves had an efficiency rating of 88dBs. From the same site, they said the tweeters are Peerless KO10DT 810665 and they are supposed to be ridiculously rare. This set works fine

"With appropriate crossovers they have a system rating of 80watts or something like that. The sensitivity is 91db/w/mtr. Res' fre' was around 1,000 c/s"

The speakers had weird Q switches, were designed by Altec's Roy Cizek who was deaf LMAO but they are considered some of the best flat sounding monitors ever made. I was hoping $70 shipped obo for the tweeters in the US

Last edited:

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super cool tweeters

All I know is that the set of speakers could handle up to 150w and the speakers themselves had an efficiency rating of 88dBs. From the same site, they said the tweeters are Peerless KO10DT 810665 and they are supposed to be ridiculously rare. This set works fine

"With appropriate crossovers they have a system rating of 80watts or something like that. The sensitivity is 91db/w/mtr. Res' fre' was around 1,000 c/s"

The speakers had weird Q switches, were designed by Altec's Roy Cizek who was deaf LMAO but they are considered some of the best flat sounding monitors ever made. I was hoping $70 shipped obo for the tweeters in the US
Northwinds,
Every thing about these tweeters is just what I am looking for except the sensitivity. Hi end no question, Musical absolutely, Interesting no doubt! Good price too. It's just that they won't match up with my woofers. Thanks for offering them up and for all the background on them. I'm tempted to get them and build yet another set of speakers around them.
Ric:glasses7:

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Here is an article on speaker design wherein the author talks about efficiency and performance of various types of tweeters. It appears that ribbon tweeters generally have the best efficiency but all types have their tradeoffs. He explains that output is generally from .1% to 10%. Some interesting stuff here....

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/speaker-design1.html
:happy3: that is a lot to absorb. Interesting to the point of understanding fall off. Picked up the brand names of some tweeters he thinks are worth considering. one thing I have notice that really interests me are the 2 rating values I see for speaker sensitivity,

1v@1m=Xdb & 2.8V@1m=Xdb some use one while some use the other. WTF I just don't need this confusion. :shaking2:

ric:glasses2:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ric, I think he's just specifying which db he's using....IIRC there are 5 or 6 db measurements....