Nakamichi Part Search BX125

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I know, I am getting to be a real pest.... This time does anyone have a source for a replacement output volume control for a NAK BX-125? Picked up a like new deck that needed a tire but also has a problem I traced to a bad section of the dual gang volume pot.

Here is the info I gathered thus far:
Nakamichi BX-125
Item VR301
Part Number: 0B30036A
10k(A) x 2
manufacturer: ALPS

Looks to be similar to a 9mm, pcb mount, audio taper, 15mm shaft length.

The online ALPS catalog has a similar item but the shaft is round with a flat rather than the style for a push on knob. Also the body style is slightly different and is all plastic, the original has a metal shield that is grounded.

Anyway I am impressed on how the NAK is put together, there is some nice engineering design and manufacturability built into that deck. It was very easy to disassemble and work on.

Thanks Again,
Robert

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
HI Robert, you'll never be a pest, now myself on the other hand.....

nacdoc is your man, he'll be along soon to help. The BX125 had a brother in another series, but I can't remember the model, I want to say B-1 or something like that, it was marketed as a 'professional' line, many of the features and I assume parts, were identical.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Robert, second that of Larry" Mean Moderator" mell, if the symptom is "scratchy" then that is Deoxitable. If , however, the wiper is bent or somehow rendered inoperable thats another story but rarely the case. PICS< PICS< PICS, and we can help.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi,

Yep I tried the deox and all the usual things but this one really is physically broken internally. The one section is open (end to end, infinity rather than 10k) and the wiper also damaged. Almost appears like someone hit the knob straight on and push the wipers to the rear of the pot, if that makes sense. It's sitting on the counter at home so I'll get a photo later. I think the ALPS #RK09712200MC from Mouser will work but one would need to rebore the knob and add a set screw which really is not a huge deal.

Thanks,
Robert

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Thanks Nakdoc.... I have some samples coming from Alps and Vishay so will see if any of those will work. If not, I now know where to find a part, thanks guys.

Robert

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
I have this deck working now and its a rather sweet unit.... It certainly has that characteristic NAK sound. Question, Do all Nak's sound better with tapes made on a NAK vs other decks?

I received a sample volume pot from a contact in the electronics distribution business here in town. The part fit perfectly after I ran a cleanup drill through the PCB holes. Had it hand delivered and it even came with a free lunch which is always a good thing! One happy camper here in the frozen tundra... :)

Robert

stuwee

rtp_burnsville said:
I have this deck working now and its a rather sweet unit.... It certainly has that characteristic NAK sound. Question, Do all Nak's sound better with tapes made on a NAK vs other decks?

I received a sample volume pot from a contact in the electronics distribution business here in town. The part fit perfectly after I ran a cleanup drill through the PCB holes. Had it hand delivered and it even came with a free lunch which is always a good thing! One happy camper here in the frozen tundra... :)

Robert
Free lunch :tongue7: :snorting: :snorting: Yum! It just tastes better don't it? Excellent news on the BX-125 :thumbup: , My understanding is Naks run a slightly differant EQ curve in the bias, which alters the sound when played on other decks, nacdoc can tell you better, I never really had much time with my F&^%*'n BX-300 to experiment :evil: I like the way Jerry's LX-3 sounds and Larry big Yamaha (another with a rep of not sounding the same on other decks).

Still cold up there eh? toasty here, and fix'n to get much, much hotter.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Never had a Yamaha, but have been wanting to give them a try. Never had a NAk either until a month or so back when one followed me home and then a second a week later. They are different than the Tascams, Pioneers, etc that I have listened to for years.

Just talked to my Mom in Arizona City and she said it's warming up there.... You must not be to far away... It has been a very cool and wet spring here. I think there has only been two days when one didn't need a jacket, very strange.

Robert

stuwee

Larry really like his Yamaha decks, our new member Tasuke, bought a BX-125 awhile back and gave it to his Mom, she loves it :D , you should get many happy years with yours, and your not afraid to work on them :thumbleft:

Arizona City is just up I-10 in the next county north, lower elevation so it gets hotter there than Tucson, when it's 105, 110 feels hotter :angryfire: , we get more summer monsoon storms to cool things off. Do you visit her? There's an old vintage car boneyard I love to poke around in when it's not so hot.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Will likely put new belts in the BX-125 in the near future being that it now all works (just did the tire).... Hopefully, that should be all for many years. I have a CR-3 that I'll have to run head to head with the BX to see the pros and cons.

She lived in Tucson for several years as well..... I don't get down that way very often as she usually comes this way to also visit her sisters and my brothers kids. It's a fun area to come visit though.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Nakamichi playback EQ matches the philips standard up to 12kHz. Philips assumed cassette response would never reach higher frequencies. Early Naks had a +2dB greater response at 20KHz than the European decks, a compensation for "gap loss". Tandberg would pointedly label this difference as non-standard and sell against Nak. With the advent of better heads in the 580/680 generation, what ever differences there were were gone. Naks made tapes sound better on Naks simply because the heads are better.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Thanks NakDoc! Appreciate the information, nice to know that there really is something different that I hear.

The BX is a very nice deck.... It has been playing pretty much non-stop for the past several days.

Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
rtp_burnsville said:
FF:

I am Ok right at the moment..... Is there a deal brewing that I should know about?

Thanks,
Robert

This guy learns quick don't he FF.??