Nakamichi "CD Player 1" (1991)

Tagline
---
been getting lucky at the thrifts and such lately. this time being Nakamichi's 1991/1992 $2000.00 MSRP TOTL internal-magazine-type CD changer, the "CD Player 1" great name, guys.

anyways, this beast is, well, at something like 30lbs. or so, a Beast.
much of the weight is due to the double-lined top bonnet, this "Acoustic Stabilizer" design.

still and all, with glass-epoxy PCBs and high quality electronic components throughout, this player is no joke. sounds great, too. not bad for $40 from GW...

Tagline
---
while it certainly isn't the cosmetic equal of the best PIONEER models such as the PD-91 and 93, it is definitely top quality, indeed so heavily built that it feels like hoisting a solid chunk of steel.

that said, there's a thin anti-vibration rubber coating on the disc tray that does not seem to last, as it was peeling away on my example here.

i peeled all that bad light rubber off of the tray, but i think that whoever attempted to vet the player in GW's back room
must have ended up jamming the disc magazine up with the stuff in the process, as the player jams right up when attempting to utilize it's multi-disc functionality.

i'll have to attempt to pull the internal magazine assembly and see if i can remove all the peeled rubber that is the likely culprit...

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
That stuff on your disc tray looks what the faceplate of my Luxman A-007 is finished with. It's worse than BPC, but the amp sounds good.

Tagline
---
yeah, without that coating, the tray is quite plasticky. still and all, it is a sort of plasticky a great many steps above the absolute rinky-dink flimsiness
of the DVD player mechanisms pretty much shared by most modern CDPs made during the last 10/20 years.

anyway;

the Dual-Mono Analog output stage, Glass Epoxy PCB, OMRON relays, 20-bit BURR BROWN DACs, top quality, the whole way through;

the rear panel shot i somehow forgot the first time;

Tagline
---
indeed, i've heard the belts are a mother to change in this design. fortunately, this example seems fine on that account.

the only issue, in fact, is the auto-changer's tendency to jam, which appears to be the fault
of the anti-vibration rubber coating on the magazine's disc trays peeling away and gumming up the works.

i don't need or care for this player's internal auto-changer design, so i might just get in there
and see if it has it's own wiring harness to the main PCB, one that i can pull, disabling the changer function completely...