My PL D500

boatman1177

New Around These Parts
Hi everyone, I just discovered this site while searching for info on my PL D500. Serial # 2470. I purchased this amp new back in 1977 I believe. I sold my 700b to buy it , and sold my 400 to buy the 700b. I used it pretty consistently until around 1990 and it developed distortion in one channel. I had it 'fixed" by a tech I knew but it did not last long. No smoke or fire just one distorted channel. It has been in storage since. I would like to bring it up on a variac and dim bulb tester and looking for advice.

I just spent the last 3 hours cruising this site. Love the Pink Floyd info. I never new any of that. IMG_7980[1].JPG IMG_7981[1].JPG

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
PM Grapplesaw, he just did a couple (upgraded them). Time for a rebuild. You can do A LOT of chasing down bad parts with just a multimeter. You don't even have to power it up... By the way, that baby is in PRIMO SHAPE..... Well worth gathering parts to restore it. Even if you find a bad output transistor, or bad parts on the control board, The old junk parts will just keep failing so build her up....

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Howdy boatman & welcome ! My wife & I lived at Punta Gorda for 20 years until Hurricane Charley wiped us out. All the way to Missouri.

boatman1177

New Around These Parts
PM Grapplesaw, he just did a couple (upgraded them). Time for a rebuild. You can do A LOT of chasing down bad parts with just a multimeter. You don't even have to power it up... By the way, that baby is in PRIMO SHAPE..... Well worth gathering parts to restore it. Even if you find a bad output transistor, or bad parts on the control board, The old junk parts will just keep failing so build her up....
Will do. My thought about powering it up was to refresh my memory about the issue and even which channel was bad. I sure would like to get it running and then think about upgrades. I am not a tech, but have rebuilt 2 tube amps with the help from the guys on AK. I think I can handle this one, but may need to ask some questions along the way. Does anyone know of a service manual for this beast?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Nice looking amp you have there

From the photo it looks all original. There are some must do things I can guide you with. Send me a private message so we can discuss further.