My other new hobbie

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Not sure if this is the right place to post it here, so mods do what you want with this post if its in the wrong place.
Anywho I got this other hobby that I have started to do since I am bored, dont have a job, am in poor health so a job will not be in my future plans. I need to past the time, so I took up model building again. Audio is a hobby as well, but all my stuff works and I have enough stuff to last me my lifetime. I really dont need anything audio except maybe something rare that I dont have. I am basically down to picking up a odd cassette or reel to reel tape that I dont have in my stash. I live on a fixed income so I was looking for something to do on the cheap so to speak. The initial cost of this particular hobby (what hobby is'nt?) was somewhat expensive, but not as expensive as all the othe one I have had in the past. So for now building models is what I have chosen to do for the time being. MY first incarnation is a pratice model, and from there just like everything else I or we do. The more we do it the better we get.
So I thought Id share some of my butchery.
So on with the pics
[/URL][/IMG]
First coat of paint after I primed and sanded down the primer.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Spoon on the botom right will be the color of the car. And the stripes tht run down the middle will be a Pearl white.
I'll post more pics as I progress on the build. This is gonna take awhile so dont hold your breath.:cyclopsani:

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
Fun

Ah, good to see this!

It's always fun to spent the time with some "butchery"....

I've done this a lot years ago, and some time ago I couldn't resist to build this 1/12 Mini Cooper S model:

And with some good photography it just looks like a real one.

Keep us posted about your progress!

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Ah, good to see this!

It's always fun to spent the time with some "butchery"....

I've done this a lot years ago, and some time ago I couldn't resist to build this 1/12 Mini Cooper S model:

And with some good photography it just looks like a real one.

Keep us posted about your progress!
WOW thats a really nice build:thumbleft::thumbleft:
I can only hope that mine turns out that way. Do you still build models?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Dave, if you fix your own gear, ever think about fixing others' gear??

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Buy a food dehydrator and cut on the middle shelves and it makes a nice little paint over to dry the paint. I used to build models, but I haven't worked on one in years as my dog needs lots of attention.

Miracle Mile

Mini connvertible

This one is also based on the same Bburago die-cast models, and I transformed it into a convertible:

Gave it away as a birthday present to someone who owns a real car exactly like this model.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Robert: Good thing you began this thread. I think most of us have delved into model building, but the work I've seen presented goes beyond what I did when I was younger.

Miles: Beautiful work. You also copied your own Mini in small scale. Are the winters long in the Netherlands? As I get older, I just don't have that patience for model building. Mix tapes I can do, but model customizing takes a lot more effort.

Nando.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Dave, if you fix your own gear, ever think about fixing others' gear??
If you are refering to me, I have done some repair for the locals. Shotwell from TH's has also brought me some work all the way from Oregon to repair as well. I do have a electro/mechanical degree. I can pretty much fix/repair just about anything. Jack of all trades master of none so to speak.
But if you are asking me if I did it for a iiving? No i have not.
All of my gear that I purchase was in need of repair, got some of it cheap (becasuse I'm cheap). But everthing was brought back into spec. I can fix it as long as parts are avaiable. Depending on the repair that needs special parts that are not avaiable I can usually sub them out. IE a capacitor comes to mind. Simple stuff. Mot gonna rebuild a complete amp or relap heads, sounds too dificult for me. Im no expert.:toothy10:
Bob
I did restore this
[/URL][/IMG]
To this
[/URL][/IMG]

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Robert: Good thing you began this thread. I think most of us have delved into model building, but the work I've seen presented goes beyond what I did when I was younger.

Miles: Beautiful work. You also copied your own Mini in small scale. Are the winters long in the Netherlands? As I get older, I just don't have that patience for model building. Mix tapes I can do, but model customizing takes a lot more effort.

Nando.
Can be frustrating at times, and patience is needed to do the job right to completion. I did manage to take a couple of photos, with my Iphone but they just dont do justice to the way the paint came out. I did manage to clear it as well and it looks pretty good. I must say for a first timer.
I need to see if any of my other cameras will do a better job at photographing how it came out. Im happey so far, but it is not finished yet. Not even close.
I'll post pics later when I get a good photo of it up close and personal:toothy10:

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Here are some pics with the body cleared
The car is a dark red just as 1or2 of the pic shows. This color is heavy on the metal flake or should I say the paint that I am useing is. I still cant really get a good shot of the clear coat, but you have to be here to see it.
I try different lighting maybe later and a different background to see of the photos will inprove.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Well its been pretty cold up here in the great NW. So I fired up the heater and went to play out in the garage today.
I did manage to get the body in color and cleared today and worked on the interior a little bit. But I screwed up the seats, so I will have to go back and redo them.
Its my first time back into the seat doing this so be gentle on the comments:tongue10:
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Some progress as I have been working on and off on this one as well as others

quite a number of screw ups but learned a lot about building this one and its not complete yet

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's a nice job, Robert. You have done plenty of detailing worth scrutinizing more closely. Once you complete a model where do you display them? Wouldn't it be a grand idea to set up a vintage display of buildings and have your models parked within the display?

Nando.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
That's a nice job, Robert. You have done plenty of detailing worth scrutinizing more closely. Once you complete a model where do you display them? Wouldn't it be a grand idea to set up a vintage display of buildings and have your models parked within the display?

Nando.
Thanks for the compliment's there Nado.
Not sure yet on where to store them or display them! Not much room in the man cave. Probably just store them.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Looks as good as if you had been on the line at Ford. Fantastic plastic!