My Marantz 2220b is cutting out on the right channel?

Joetown

New Around These Parts
It's cutting out on the right channel, then it comes back on for a while than it cuts out again. I tried dioxide on the pots, I took into the shop to have it fixed, bought it home and it worked for a while than it would do the same thing. I've tried 2 different sets of speakers, headphones. I took it back to the shop that I took it to. Any ideas to this problem would be helpful.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Does it have an output relay? Those are usually my first attack point if it has one. The fact that it works fine for a while and then cuts out makes that a suspect.

Joetown

New Around These Parts
Hi, I'm not sure what a output relay is? I just got it out of the shop for the second time yesterday. The guy said it works fine that he said he played it 5 days for 8 hours. I took it home and just used headphones, it cut out on the right channel after a few minutes. I used the headphones directly on my reel to reel and the headphones work fine, so I know its know the head phones work fine. I wish I would of brought my head phones when I pick it up from the shop. I going to take it to a different repair shop. I don't trust this person.

Attachments

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hi, I'm not sure what a output relay is? I just got it out of the shop for the second time yesterday. The guy said it works fine that he said he played it 5 days for 8 hours. I took it home and just used headphones, it cut out on the right channel after a few minutes. I used the headphones directly on my reel to reel and the headphones work fine, so I know its know the head phones work fine. I wish I would of brought my head phones when I pick it up from the shop. I going to take it to a different repair shop. I don't trust this person.
I'm suspecting a broken wire or cable. First of all, have you swapped inputs and speaker wires L to R to see if you can duplicate the problem in reverse?

I have COAXIAL CABLES as well as speaker wires and sometimes RCAs that don't move and seem to cut out or pass signals weakly enough that some of the DTV stations are too weak to be received and others are fine, and then you tighten ot move them and stuff pops on and off...they should make them with valium or something, they get tweaked too easily.

Makes adjusting your much-needed line amps a pain.

orange

Tagline
Stick to two (stereo) at first. And make sure the wires don't short against the chassis.

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Who can tell me what TV Commercial this receiver is on !!! Little hint.... The receiver is on a table for sale !!!

orange

Tagline
And if I had some banana plugs for that AV Yamaha receiver I got back from mom (her hearing is too bad to use it anymore) I wouldn't have to use those dumbass combo terminals by trying to stick the wire end in a sideways hole after unscrewing it and then have to use my bum fingers in a time space and then gope the stupid thing stays in this time. But I'm finally starting to figure out how to use the least amount of external switching boxes/preamps to hook all my crap up when a certain $25 90s Pioneer would have sufficed, but I missed it.

orange

Tagline
Who can tell me what TV Commercial this receiver is on !!! Little hint.... The receiver is on a table for sale !!!
No idea, I watch old game shows and some sports off the antenna.

orange

Tagline
And thank you for posting the manual, Marco.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Sometimes the phone jacks you are plugging into get oxidized. The phone jack inputs on my Crown amp do that and get intermittent. Your tech probably did not focus on the headphone outputs. How does it work through speakers? Same cut out problem?

Phone jacks are usually nickel plated. Nickel Oxide is a good insulator. So when these jacks oxidize, they get flaky,

Last edited:

Joetown

New Around These Parts
I'm suspecting a broken wire or cable. First of all, have you swapped inputs and speaker wires L to R to see if you can duplicate the problem in reverse?

I have COAXIAL CABLES as well as speaker wires and sometimes RCAs that don't move and seem to cut out or pass signals weakly enough that some of the DTV stations are too weak to be received and others are fine, and then you tighten ot move them and stuff pops on and off...they should make them with valium or something, they get tweaked too easily.

Makes adjusting your much-needed line amps a pain.
Hey is the out put relay, the same as the speaker relay? I saw a video on you tube about cleaning the speaker relay with Deoxide. I was not able to get the speaker replay cover off. I will try to get the cover off again tomorrow.

Joetown

New Around These Parts
Sometimes the phone jacks you are plugging into get oxidized. The phone jack inputs on my Crown amp do that and get intermittent. Your tech probably did not focus on the headphone outputs. How does it work through speakers? Same cut out problem?

Phone jacks are usually nickel plated. Nickel Oxide is a good insulator. So when these jacks oxidize, they get flaky,
It cuts out on the speakers Too. The headphones and two sets of speakers works on my other receiver. I'm trying to get the cover off on the speaker relay to clean and use dioxide. I will take it to a different repair shop if I can't get the cover off to try and see if that works by cleaning the speakers relay. I 'm not going to take it back to the same repair guy.

Attachments