Music Hall 9.1 vs ClearAudio Performance DC Turntables

braxus

Journeyman
Since I'm selling my Linn LP12, a better turntable set was suggested to me. The option was between the Music Hall 9.1 turntable or for a little more money, the ClearAudio Performance DC with the best arm option. I will still be using my Dynavector 17D3 MC cartridge, so whatever cart comes with the ClearAudio arm -will be sold off.

Between these two tables, can anyone comment between them?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I have a Music hall 7 and love it... the 9.1 to me would be the cats meow

braxus

Journeyman
I read one comment stating the sound off the Perfomance DC may be a bit more refined, but have also read others stating they went from ClearAudio Concept to the Music Hall. Now the Concept is a lesser table, so not sure if the comparison is right.

Well I'm running this turntable through a Dynavector 17D3 cart into a custom built tube phono stage. The tube stage tends to compress dynamics a bit, so I need a lively kind of sound to compensate.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I read one comment stating the sound off the Perfomance DC may be a bit more refined, but have also read others stating they went from ClearAudio Concept to the Music Hall. Now the Concept is a lesser table, so not sure if the comparison is right.

Well I'm running this turntable through a Dynavector 17D3 cart into a custom built tube phono stage. The tube stage tends to compress dynamics a bit, so I need a lively kind of sound to compensate.
I don;t know a lot about the clear audio but I can only tell you of the music hall Can you go look at each and actually get a hands on demo?? I know I for one would love to have a 9.1 only cause they look so cool but I don't think as far as the table goes the human ear woulld net hear any difference between the 7 I have and the 9.1 only the cartridge may be able to hear difference here is the 7 I just picked up.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Hall-...708970?hash=item2ef28b44aa:g:kYoAAOSwJqpXoPI4

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Hey Scott, how much are you planning for your budget? How much enjoyment do your Lp's bring? Forget those thin plinth newcommers , get thee to the Thorens club, yeah, I'm hopelessly biased but....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tho...390175?hash=item33bd4eccdf:g:iaIAAOSwbsBXkDvw

You get one of the most elegant belt drives ever made, uber cool mid century looks with bomb proof reliability, just a few drops of oil and belts every 3 years or so. For $399.00 + another $100.00 shipped to Canada...Add a SME 3009 for another $200 to $250 and you will not look back my friend.

The SME is an easy set up, it just looks intimidating with all the doo hickies and thinga ma bobs...

Of course, I'm confused as to why you're getting rid of the Linn, I can't keep up with all these threads on the subject...keep the Linn, get an SME 3009 arm, find a competent TT guru to mate them up.

braxus

Journeyman
Hi Stu. Though the Linn is a very respectable table in its own right, I didn't want to sink any more money into it and not be guaranteed it won't have issues in the future. Its a 30 year old table and needs work. I decided to sidestep and get a new table. The Linn may get me 3 grand towards a new table, if it ends up selling for what he plans to ask for it in his store. I'm keeping my cartridge I recently bought. I just have to pay a little more to get the Clear Audio table. Its performance is very good, even if its a side step from the Linn. And it doesn't have suspension issues that I have been dealing with lately.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I'd want to check the compliance compatibility of those 2 arms and that Dynavector MC cart. I suspect they're similar but I'm unfamiliar with either.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I agree with Stuwee.....get a Thorens and an SME 3009 arm. You will never look back. I would go with the TD-124 and a nice early version non-improved Series II...as that is where I ended up. It may be a 60 year old table, but there is a reason they are still in high demand. They are simply awesome...

braxus

Journeyman
Thank you for the input guys. To save on costs, Im keeping my Linn LP12 and just replacing the arm on it. Store was suggesting a Jelco 750 arm for mine and he has it in stock.