Mounting bracket between the garage door springs

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Is the Mounting bracket between the garage door springs under pressure? I need to replace the board under it because it is falling apart but the horror stories of shit flying has kept me from unscrewing the bracket which has 3-4 lag bolts holding it to the board. Please answer ONLY if you know these systems, I don't want a broken face today.

garage door.jpg

George S.

Pretty sure it's under considerable tension. If you look at the outboard spring ends you'll see the collar with the round holes that the spring winding bars fit into, along with the set screws that hold that adjustment.
Last time I had a spring break, I ordered two new springs, two round adjusting bars that fit the collar holes, and watched many YouTube videos before replacement.
Don't try releasing tension using any set of makeshift bars. Get the proper bars.

George S.

With the door all way up, that will be point with least tension on the springs. At that point you can gauge remaining tension by feeling how taut those cables still are. Then notice the directions those springs are wound and how that center bracket is going to spin without being anchored by that bracket.
Pretty sure you need to release tension first.
Yes "pretty sure".
There's a chance you may be able to get the door up to a position where's there's no tension on the cables. Then undo the lags. Just be damn careful.

George S.

Vice grips clamped in the roller channel will hold the door in position, clamp both sides.

Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
YES!!!! that bracket holds the TOTAL!!! tension of the springs. Completely release the spring tension before touching the lag bolts. Be VERY careful releasing or adding spring tension. Trust me they are powerful enough to cause SERIOUS injury!

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Perry
Maybe get new springs at the same time
They fail overtime. Just saying because it is apart and the extra 50-100 is snail to add the call out