More Power!

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
The market place is setting the price.

When you look at it with out bias the facts are you may have to pay 40 year ago year original selling price for a peace of history. Convert it into today dollars then it may still be a score. Checked out what a 1970 Cuda or Gto costs today like 20 -30 times what is sold for originally.

Maybe it's all Perry's fail with those power houses he sells!!

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Those Clair's should draw a premium, even being WOPL'd, fairly hard to find....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Gonna get even harder soon. I don't have many left. Especially if I do 4 consecutive serial numbers WOPL'S for my collection. There are still junkers to be had for upgrading but they want $700 and up for them. Damn, and I offed a bunch last year. Wish I had them back now.

Nadude, get one (not necessarily one of mine) while you can, it's just going to get worse. I already raised my prices this week after figuring out there ain't no deals to be had and the prices will continue to climb just like some of the Mac stuff. PL amps that were built at the factory suffered from quality issues and some bad engineering practices (bad soldering, wire routing, RMA flux remaining on the circuit boards, crappy single sided boards, shitty wire, etc), but we now have the stuff to make one of these amps into a world class item. Are they Phase Linears still after we get done WOPL'ing them? Maybe, maybe not. Not that I really care what the purists may say. Go pick you one up and WOPL the dogshit out of it and you'll never need another amp the rest of your life. Even if you have to blow $2000-$2500, that's pretty cheap in my book. I blew $45 grand on a pickup that won't last half as long as a WOPL and won't be worth a plug nickel in a decade or so. My prediction? A WOPL in 2 years will be worth 3-5k. Have you ever seen one for sale beside the guys that build them? Not me. The boys love them some WOPL snatch and for good reason. It was one of the world's best kept secrets but I heard some chick on a far away website talking about them and look what happened.

All the above is merely the rambling of a crazy retired sailor. Maybe we can get Lee to hit the delete button....

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Gonna get even harder soon. I don't have many left. Especially if I do 4 consecutive serial numbers WOPL'S for my collection. There are still junkers to be had for upgrading but they want $700 and up for them. Damn, and I offed a bunch last year. Wish I had them back now.

Nadude, get one (not necessarily one of mine) while you can, it's just going to get worse. I already raised my prices this week after figuring out there ain't no deals to be had and the prices will continue to climb just like some of the Mac stuff. PL amps that were built at the factory suffered from quality issues and some bad engineering practices (bad soldering, wire routing, RMA flux remaining on the circuit boards, crappy single sided boards, shitty wire, etc), but we now have the stuff to make one of these amps into a world class item. Are they Phase Linears still after we get done WOPL'ing them? Maybe, maybe not. Not that I really care what the purists may say. Go pick you one up and WOPL the dogshit out of it and you'll never need another amp the rest of your life. Even if you have to blow $2000-$2500, that's pretty cheap in my book. I blew $45 grand on a pickup that won't last half as long as a WOPL and won't be worth a plug nickel in a decade or so. My prediction? A WOPL in 2 years will be worth 3-5k. Have you ever seen one for sale beside the guys that build them? Not me. The boys love them some WOPL snatch and for good reason. It was one of the world's best kept secrets but I heard some chick on a far away website talking about them and look what happened.

All the above is merely the rambling of a crazy retired sailor. Maybe we can get Lee to hit the delete button....
Like He said!!

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
While I've yet to hear one, I'm still going to get one, or maybe two!! Still loving my SAE beast tho! And it's little brother I bought new!

Since Perry is so close, maybe a shootout? I could care less who wins, my SAE's ain't going anywhere, you can never have too many monster amps :la:

Maybe Stephen can bring down his Rowlands?? WoW!?!

My Summits are literally quivering...:shaking2::happy2::shaking2:

stuwee

Just to put some perspective on this, I paid $2,600 for the SAE and that was a steal for a mint example of this very rare beast, look at how it's built against the PL's, no compara folks, yeah, it needs cooling help but, I'm driving ML's, it wasn't built for those.

Stephens Rowlands cost $15,000, lovely to look at , lovely to hear!!

The WOPL's are just too cool for school!! I'm looking forward to hearing the Summits with them :blob8::blob7::blob8:

I'm using an old Yamaha CX-600U preamp, cheapo interconnects and speaker wires that have hair on them...still Lee was amazed at the soundstage...several feet from each speakers side...I need to hear that from any new amp!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Stephen told me 2 years ago that a WOPL 400 was a 2500 to 3000 dollar amp....

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Stephen told me 2 years ago that a WOPL 400 was a 2500 to 3000 dollar amp....
For what you get and sound quality wise, I have to agree

Craig, I think the soundstage you refer to has more to do with the speakers then the amp, correct me if I am wrong Lee

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The power wars , in the later years , Stephen tells me, we're driven by the the speaker designs, the stats, the 901, and the Ohm model A's and F's , not to mention Infinity's line. Carver was ahead of the game by a few years.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
While I've yet to hear one, I'm still going to get one, or maybe two!! Still loving my SAE beast tho! And it's little brother I bought new!

Since Perry is so close, maybe a shootout? I could care less who wins, my SAE's ain't going anywhere, you can never have too many monster amps :la:

Maybe Stephen can bring down his Rowlands?? WoW!?!

My Summits are literally quivering...:shaking2::happy2::shaking2:
Maybe I can drop off Roxanne the one eyed bitch and let you test flail her for a few days.... a few days? What am I saying? I can't live without her for that long.... ok, I'll build another for you to test Stuwee.

stuwee

Woof! I down with that! Would love to meet ya Perry, master of the WOPL in southern AZ!!

I know my stat's have a huge influence on the soundstage...but, I also believe the amp has a voice as well in it. I've heard some amps that just sound closed down and some that have a synergy...

What is your bev of choice Perry?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Woof! I down with that! Would love to meet ya Perry, master of the WOPL in southern AZ!!

I know my stat's have a huge influence on the soundstage...but, I also believe the amp has a voice as well in it. I've heard some amps that just sound closed down and some that have a synergy...

I prefer Ice cold swampwater with a sprig of asparagus but if you don't stock it, a Bud Light... Gotta watch the beer belly.... I'll be ordering parts from Joe here pretty quick so I'll get an amp or two in the works. I warn you though Stuwee, you wont want to let them go after a session with the Gentle Giant

Perry

fitz43

Navo probably has a suitable Bev in his collection?

Last edited:

stuwee

I prefer Ice cold swampwater with a sprig of asparagus but if you don't stock it, a Bud Light... Gotta watch the beer belly.... I'll be ordering parts from Joe here pretty quick so I'll get an amp or two in the works. I warn you though Stuwee, you wont want to let them go after a session with the Gentle Giant

Perry
I love a challenge!! And hope you're right!

I'll warn you as well, the Summit's will SMITE ya! Any extra speaker cables you have laying around that fit the WOPL will be welcome tho!

I can have Bud Light, sprig of lime? Have a tree out back buddy!