Mono Amp Powers Supply's

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Cant get away from work from across the pond yet but that is the first thing on my list when I fly in. I see your keeping yourself busy on new projects!
yeah, its best never to let the grass grow tall under your feet, just keep moving ahead...
Always staying busy..... I got another Carver 4000T coming in next week. Total rebuild with a remote system.... I'm rebuilding a PL 200 right now along with the Mono project below..... Sold another amp yesterday, Keep on trucking.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Started to Cascade the Back Planes, using the heavy stuff from Dennis. I expect the other set of Back Planes from Joe here soon. I have to adjust a couple caps and resistors on the PL-36 board from Nick and this will start to come together. Still have not figured out what I'm going to house this stuff in.

Hey Joe, if you read this, I was wondering what happens when you mix bulk caps in the power supply section. Can you use a 15,000uf 160V cap with a 40,000uf 200V cap? I have both and never thought about how it would work. I thought I'd check instead of just trying it. Do they both need to be the same? I'll get my order together either way. I don't know how it would affect the rails with a 40000 on one side and a 16000 on the other.. Probably doesn't sound like "SOUND" engineering. Lee, jump in here anywhere, I know you have "Experimented" a time or two.

HUH????

IMG_4819.jpg IMG_4818.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
This is what I have left in the spare parts bin and I'll go either way. On the first page of this post I used 4 of the 15,000uf caps we use on the WOPL's... Any thoughts???

The 40,000uf caps are impressive (mine's bigger than your's kinda deal) but not sure how the power supply will act. Man, those bulk caps we use on the WOPL's sure look pussy compared to the big'uns.....

Would'n those look awesome with a LED spotlight on them when you look inside the amp???

IMG_4820.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I'm sure there's something that ain't right about mixing uf values of caps....like one would charge or discharge the other ....but really I don't have a clue...40 to 15 is quite a gap, if I was where you are in this project I'd do it just to answer that question...course we have Joe now....

For my monos I gathered up some 35,000uf , 125 volters....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was wondering about running a cap with the working voltage that low. With rails at 117V it was pushing it kinda close..

But yer right, maybe some experimentation with 2 different sizes would "Educate" us Peons.....

But, drilling Joe is too easy... But if I was him, I'd let me do something like this just to laugh.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I think he's given me "enough rope" a couple times....mainly cause I would jump ahead...

Those 35's are CD's....they'll handle it...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Another question...... I know we have our Analog Meter Fiends, and our LED Meter Fans here.... What would you guys do??? I have some NOS Simpson DB meters I was thinking about using, or I could use some of Joe's AWESOME Series II LED boards which I have used on a couple amps and I really like them. I have 4 of these meters begging to be pegged so????????

IMG_4822.jpg IMG_4823.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I know some really cheap water jetters up here....the PS chassis will be bigger than the amp chassis....course ...it SHOULD be....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
This project has grown too bit for it's britches with 2 toroids per side (4 each) and the big caps, soft starts etc............ I'm going to need 2 seperate circuits to power it (I think).

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Another question...... I know we have our Analog Meter Fiends, and our LED Meter Fans here.... What would you guys do??? I have some NOS Simpson DB meters I was thinking about using, or I could use some of Joe's AWESOME Series II LED boards which I have used on a couple amps and I really like them. I have 4 of these meters begging to be pegged so????????

View attachment 31953 View attachment 31954
Are they milliamp meters?? Or, what does it take to drive them.

Mine will have a single meter in the middle of a faceplate, and a DC voltmeter and DC ammeter to monitor rail voltage on the PS's....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
This project has grown too bit for it's britches with 2 toroids per side (4 each) and the big caps, soft starts etc............ I'm going to need 2 seperate circuits to power it (I think).
2 toroids per channel, or 2 per rail per channel?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Are they milliamp meters?? Or, what does it take to drive them.

Mine will have a single meter in the middle of a faceplate, and a DC voltmeter and DC ammeter to monitor rail voltage on the PS's....
Hell Lee, I don't know as of this time. I was going to do some testing to figure that out. I have not got that far yet. Meters for rails is cool. I have some for that too. I think voltmeters are the way to go, Ammeters in line is another point of failure.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Hell Lee, I don't know as of this time. I was going to do some testing to figure that out. I have not got that far yet. Meters for rails is cool. I have some for that too. I think voltmeters are the way to go, Ammeters in line is another point of failure.
Yeah, but they'll be Simpson's ....so I'll chance it...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
2 toroids per channel, or 2 per rail per channel?
2 toroids per channel to help with sag (running in parallel), providing a +117 and a -117 rail for each channel. It may be overkill but me and Glen have not finished that discussion. We need Joe dammit........,.