MM

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
I bought the AT440mla due to the microline stylus on it. I've had enough inner groove distortion in the past to know I didn't ever want it to be an issue - again. Best tracker I ever had and it is historically so. I skipped the bargain carts and went staight up to this. While $199 may not be a bargain to some, it is defineatly an entry into needles that are sophisticated. It reveals everything, but does balance bright for some, including me. Seems well balanced with tubes and soft dome/paper cone speakers. It's on a '76 Technics SL-23 Belt Drive/S-Arm.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I have the same cart on one of my 2 Technics SL-1200 tables and agree with Joe, great tracking cartridge. The other table has the Shure Supertrack which I like better but the AT is very close.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I can get these but not at this price. It is a 600.00 cart. Wonder if I will be happy. I tried it on a Sandra Fluke that I may win. It was 30 some dollars when I started. Got overbid at 50 and sniped at 76.99. So I won at 76.00. I hope you guys don't think I'm bragging. I just get tickled when I get things at this price. I hope you guys agree this is a good cart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110948475498?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I would have gone for that! Nice find I hope it's as sweet as the deal.

Joe, I don't know how you ended up aligning your AT, but I found that aligning it toward the inner grooves gave me the best overall sound.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Ooooo. Now I'm even more curious about how you'll like it. I don't think I've ever read anything bad about any of them.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Joe
I set it up just following the VTA and overhang instructions for the cart and my table arm and thought it worked out pretty well. I suppose I should try small adjustments as you obviously has to tweak better performance out of it. Was it just trial and error using the inner grooves or did you develop a method?

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Hi Joe
I set it up just following the VTA and overhang instructions for the cart and my table arm and thought it worked out pretty well. I suppose I should try small adjustments as you obviously has to tweak better performance out of it. Was it just trial and error using the inner grooves or did you develop a method?
Trial and error. I used the Tool for the Technics overhang. But then I still was finding that the alignment didnt seem right, as some music sounded less then stellar at the end. I did not use a protractor. Apparently there are several schools of thought on this. I was told that Rega tends to go for more of an inner-groove alignment, which can make a big difference for classical listeners. Big finale at the end if you know what I mean.

speakerman1

Tagline
Do you use the speed to tweak it? Aren't all TT motors DC? As sensitive to noise they would only want the AC in so far. Graham has some nice battery phono stages.

speakerman1

Tagline
Well it arrived. The top is metal. The case is 1/4 inch glass. No nuts to drop. The allen head screws go into the body. Do I want so set up a TT today? HMMM