Misadventures in Bi-Amping

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
UPDATE

I moved some things around. The shop system moved a couple of yards away, and now consists of the Denon CDP and the Cyrus 2/PSX. The Cyrus amp sings, placed between the CDP and the B&W speakers - maybe it's the new speaker wire, some Monster in-wall stuff, which I strung along the ceiling.

That freed up the Arcam amp, which went into the main system to service the Vandersteen's mids and tweeters. It has more power than the Luxman and the sound is more seamless then ever, and I can hear gobs of detail on familiar music. I have to do without the Luxman's DAC, however.

That freed up the Luxman, which went upstairs to go in the office system. The Aiwa preamp and the Yamaha M-35 were both getting noisy, so the Lux is a blessing.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Back to the bi-amping. I put together six cables with RCA's on one end and 1/4-inch phono plugs on the other. I decided against the IXOS cables - when I stripped off the outer insulation, I saw that the wires were already turning green. I fell back on the basic-quality interconnects, and ended up with two different cables and five different phono plugs. On the plus side, continuity checks are fine. I was going to post photos, but it looks like it would be easier to lift a photo off Facebook than off my own photos in Shotwell. It has been a problem since I went to 18.04/Bionic Beaver. Yeah, that's what they call it. Apple's photo software is much better. Next, I hook it all up and hope for better sound.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
It works! Bass is deeper and more articulate. Mids and highs are clearer. I'm well pleased, and SOME songs now sound different in ways I can't explain. Others, about the same. I just wish I could post photos. The crossover, btw, is an Electro-Voice EVT EX-18 Tapco Electronic Crossover.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I thank you both!

Signal goes into the Yamaha DSP amp as before, but now the pre-amp signal goes to the electronic crossover, then out from that back to the Yamaha's power amp section for the bass (<500 cps), and to the Proton AA-1150 for the > 500 cps signal. That is my second AA-1150, as I foolishly sold my first one years ago.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
UPDATE: The biamping hecksperiment is over, at least for now. I'm back to single amp & single wire, currently the Proton AA-1150 and some twelve AWG Viper cable, intended (I think) for automotive use. It's more balanced, with gobs of detail. I'm back to where I was in the 1990's...but with better speakers.