Maxell UR or Sony HF?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Like the "railroading" of the SA, the MA has a reputation for "white powder" on the tape. Just FYI.

I've not experienced it firsthand that I recall (but I avoid metal tape) but I have seen plenty of pictures of that condition.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
I just received my Tape repair Kit. Its a 1/8" w bar and Slicing Tape, I hope it works better than no bar and 1/4" tape.
I also finally found a CLEAR Leader tape :D I been looking for a long time.
I'm installing a NOS different Head which I hope will help w Ailment.

Attachments

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
... and I would be more than happy if I could get 90 minute Maxell XLII for a 5$ a piece :( Would buy 100 for that price directly.
People are paying theese days even 2.5€ for a basic TDK D / Maxell UR from 90's and 10€ and more for Maxell XLII90.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I may cut some TDK SA tapes loose soon.

I do have good used ones if that’s of interest, and those will go before the sealed ones anyway.

I barely have time to listen, let alone record these days.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
I am maybe a bit biased towards the HF? :p

anyways, the ones below are the 1986-87 version which, IMHO, is the best HF ever (i think i tried just any version of HF) and one of the 3-4 very best basic ferrics regardless of the brand (which are all quite on par about performance)... also, I used to regularly buy this version of HF back in the old days when it was current, just this exact kind of 3packs, and I had just loved it.

The only "sad" thing is that the picture below was taken around year 2011 and, at now, almost all of them are gone or just recorded.
These are from a very large batch Tapelike (UK) happened to get back then and which they were selling like 1 pound per cassette... how could I resist in buying a few 30 pcs boxes of these? :D

SONY-HF_old.jpg

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I may cut some TDK SA tapes loose soon.

I do have good used ones if that’s of interest, and those will go before the sealed ones anyway.

I barely have time to listen, let alone record these days.
I know that feeling right now. Hopefully, things will slow down a bit for all of us but it does seem life is coming at us pretty fast these days.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
I know that feeling right now. Hopefully, things will slow down a bit for all of us but it does seem life is coming at us pretty fast these days.
Really, really fast.
Boss marked that I'm not so happy atwork as I use to be and asked if he can help me somehow.
The answer was: quit me! I want my life back.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Thinking I'll take mine back a few months after I turn 70, Alex. Gonna wait around for the last longevity bonus next fall and hopefully a buyout offer in 2026. Hopefully, the health issues will be behind us by then - if only for a few years. We're both looking at more surgeries this year, though not as serious as last year.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
Thinking I'll take mine back a few months after I turn 70, Alex. Gonna wait around for the last longevity bonus next fall and hopefully a buyout offer in 2026. Hopefully, the health issues will be behind us by then - if only for a few years. We're both looking at more surgeries this year, though not as serious as last year.
May a God bless you and give you a long healthy life.
As it looks at the moment, retirement is not gonna be before (if) I reach 70 (21 to go). EU is pushing limit further and further. In a mean time, I will try to enjoy recording tapes and learn myself about electronics as much as I can.
After all this crysis in the world I hope to take again a road trip thru Cal, Arizona, Utah and who knows where else. Missing all of those beautiful places you have there in the US.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
May a God bless you and give you a long healthy life.
As it looks at the moment, retirement is not gonna be before (if) I reach 70 (21 to go). EU is pushing limit further and further. In a mean time, I will try to enjoy recording tapes and learn myself about electronics as much as I can.
After all this crysis in the world I hope to take again a road trip thru Cal, Arizona, Utah and who knows where else. Missing all of those beautiful places you have there in the US.
Take the trips Alex, it's the last luxury in the world. The more remote, the better, at least for me. You'll always remember them.

Just get there before the damn hipsters ruin the places taking selfies to show where they've been.