Maxell or TDK?

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Yes!!!!!!!! The Knight arrive'th, good to see ya brah!!! Smash any Luxman's lately?

The Black Knight

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Remember keep a leg up on the Luxmans
Yes!!!!!!!! The Knight arrive'th, good to see ya brah!!! Smash any Luxman's lately?
No Luxman's, but I have been thinking of a smash and pillage trip to Tucson. I hear someone there has been mating SAE equipment with ML's.

Been mighty busy the last few years going to multiple Lynyrd Skynyrd concerts every week. :toothy5:

Northwinds

Tagline
No Luxman's, but I have been thinking of a smash and pillage trip to Tucson. I hear someone there has been mating SAE equipment with ML's.

Been mighty busy the last few years going to multiple Lynyrd Skynyrd concerts every week. :toothy5:
You lead such an epic life, I live vicariously through you :headbang:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP

It would be an honor Sir to have you in my humble abode to experience the SAE/ML sound :happy2:

analogman64, we are a great bunch here, I too would offer up some fine tapes for you to try on your very nice decks. I have found over the years that each has it's own sonic signature and on each deck it varies for many reasons. It's a bit like different phono carts on a turntable and arm and that makes it part of the fun, dialing it in and getting it right!!

To answer your post question, I strongly prefer vintage TDK MA-XG's because they just got the sound sooo right, I have 40+ of them for good reason

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Welcome to our forum, analogman64. You own a pair of good cassette decks. With the manual calibration features on each of your decks, you should be able to dial in cassettes of the same vintage as your decks' manufacture without problem, provided the decks haven't already been internally calibrated to another specific tape. Although I don't limit myself to just two brands of tapes for recording (Type II), I have had more experience recording to Maxell XL II than with TDK. In mix tape exchanges, some of the best recordings I've heard from other members, have been recorded on TDK SA-X, most of the earlier edition cassettes from the 80's. I recently recorded a mix tape to a newer TDK SA 90 (1997-2001) and it turned out fine.

There are so many good brands of older cassettes out there, as long as you can still find a supply of decent ones at an affordable price. For new cassettes, I've delved into Polaroid C-90. But, I have plenty of stock of older, sealed tapes to use. My recommendation would be to try other brands, such as the Sony UX-Pro or BASF Chrome Extra II.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

SA-X

I used a lot of (mostly) TDK SA-X tapes, and the older versions from the late seventies/early eighties were the best in my opinion.

They are very hard to get these days (unless you are willing to pay a fortune for it on the Bay..) but I still have quite a few of the late seventies editions.
Nando was the lucky one to receive one of them with one of my mixes recorded on it.

TDK vintage.jpg

Elite-ist

Staff member
My reference to the TDK SA-X tape was indeed Miles' recording of "Around The World In 90 Minutes." It stands out as one of the best-sounding tapes I've have had the pleasure of receiving.

It's worthy to note that I rarely find TDK SA-X tapes of this vintage out in my travels. I do, however, find plenty of Maxell premium chromes of the same vintage.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
I used a lot of (mostly) TDK SA-X tapes, and the older versions from the late seventies/early eighties were the best in my opinion.

They are very hard to get these days (unless you are willing to pay a fortune for it on the Bay..) but I still have quite a few of the late seventies editions.
Nando was the lucky one to receive one of them with one of my mixes recorded on it.

View attachment 22921
That's the ones I was talking about, they are the best IMO!!!!

Miracle Mile

Smashing..

The Black Knight doth returneth from the crusades!!!

Look out boys....
With only 16 posts almost famous in here.

Black Knight art.jpg

Nice working title for a new mixtape though......

:iconbiggrin:

Last edited:

Miracle Mile

taking a leaveth from the crusades to killeth some of isis f'refath'rs. i always weareth mine walkman when riding mine battleth ste'd.:whdat:
Can I have some subtitles in here?

Don't know what's worser to ruin a thread like this; Blaze's honest opinion at post #12 or these nonsense.....

Elite-ist

Staff member
Hopefully, our newest member hasn't been dissuaded in responding. There have been a few on-topic postings dealing with his question. I like passing on any useful information or experiences I have.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Nando,

The possitive of this thread is that it reminds me of being not active in the real mixtape thing for quite a while, and maybe we're able to bring back some entertainment in the "Mixtape thread".
Every time I'm thinking of the $1,49 swap I have a smile on my face... It was good fun!

BlazeES

Tagline
---
2016 should be crowned the resurgence of the mix-tape exchange !

... I M H
of course.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I saw his light lit here yesterday so he was reading. We're a motley crew sometimes, that's all...and if you registered to be here you probably lurked long enough to know that we are fine Loonies

Elite-ist

Staff member
Miles & Tony: I certainly hope to get a few more Challenges and mix tape exchanges completed next year with each of you. Will it be as epic as the Memorex Challenge? We can only try. In the context of this thread, why not put up your best Maxell or TDK, of any type including Type IV, up for the Challenge?

Photo artistry credits to Daren (Dazen1):

Nando.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Miles & Tony: I certainly hope to get a few more Challenges and mix tape exchanges completed next year with each of you. Will it be as epic as the Memorex Challenge? We can only try. In the context of this thread, why not put up your best Maxell or TDK, of any type including Type IV, up for the Challenge?

Nando.
I'd say the MX depicted here could challenge and win against any TDK metal ... or a TDK anything for that matter.

Maxell%20-%20MX%2090%20-%203.jpg

... I M H
of course.