Master Tasuke's Computer Sound System from HELL!!!!

Tagline
---
hey guys. you won't believe it, but i just got REAL LUCKY.

some of you might already be well aware of the "name your price" rummage sale that i've mentioned off and on
that tends to be regularly held every few months or so by a local nonprofit community service organization
that i try my best to always attend. well, guess what? this time i really hit the Mother Lode;
i walked out of there with a pair of these in cosmetically alright, operationally perfect condition, all for the princely sum of precisely $1.00...

SANSUI SP-2000 4-WAY (1968)

maximum input at 70 watts
freq. response as 35-20000hz,
crossover at 1500, 5000 and 10000 hz,
12" woofer,
6.5" and 4.5" midrange,
two 2" horn tweeters,
one 1.375" super horn tweeter
box dimensions 25.75" tall, 14.25" wide and 12" deep,
weight 45.2 lbs.
4-way, 6-speaker Bass Reflex enclosure

further, the 1985 YAMAHA R-9 CLASS-A stereo receiver i was waiting for from fellow member JBECKVA just showed up in the same day,
so first thing i did was to mate them together into a Computer sound system from Perdition that sounds like HEAVEN!!!!

while i was at it, i popped the R-9's lid so i could dress up all that messy wiring and place clip-on ferrite beads
on the main supply leads directly TO/FROM the power transformer;

one last thing though; the lattice grilles had metal SANSUI logo badges, but mine had only one of them still present, and not in the best of condition, either;

suppose there is any possibility that someone here just might have a pair of badges of similar styling lying around
that they might be willing to part with? i'd deeply appreciate it.

in the meantime, i'm gonna "see if these bastards can do 90"... :love2::toothy6::flower:

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's a healthy computer sound system. I have a pair of SP 2000s, too, but I found the smaller Pioneer CS-66e speakers I have were much better in comparison to the Sansuis while hooked up to the same receiver.

Nando.

Tagline
---
yeah, my original system was using these RS OPTIMUS STS-100 mini-bookshelves.

i really ought to try them with the R-9, but i'm really digging the s$#t out of those 60's/70's SANSUI behemoths,
and i'm scared of finding out these puny RAT SHACKs might somehow end up sounding better or something...

Last edited:

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I'd love to get a pair of those old Sansui's... again.. Back in my teen days, those (well actually the SP1000A's I think) were handed down to me as my first pair. Solid construction and that sweet Sansui sound...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
John, don't be afraid...REPURPOSE! :glasses8:

And PM me...I need to get ahold of you.

Tagline
---
no prob; "You've Got Mail"

ALSO; one of the R-9's two POM/Nylon plastic door hinge pawls somehow got snapped in shipping.

i tried super gluing it with the LOCTITE "CONTROL GEL" BLUE i am quite fond of,
-vastly superior to the joe-average "little tube" super glues-
and it did work, for a time, before giving out.

i was about to give up and just put the R-9 aluminum door panel aside
in the hopes of procuring an intact set of hinges sometime in the indeterminate future...
that is, until i put my head together and got an idea digging through my stock of parts culled
from the many VCRs and other various CE i've found for free, and dissected.

i actually have a ton of those rubber-coated flexible metal wiring stays, with a -screw-boss on one end- that most japanese companies
were quite fond of peppering into their 1980's VCR models, and i found one just right for appropriating
into a not-pretty-but-quite functional hinge replacement...

Last edited:
Tagline
---
$11.99, shipped;

i am intending, actually, on mounting this pair i have coming (should be showing up here today in fact)
directly onto the front baffles. a cherry secondary pair, such as what fellow member ORANGE has just shown me, would be ideal for the grilles.

the grilles on these SANSUIs were fastened to place with four screws, ala the Pio CS-77,
and probably most every other japanese latticework-grilled 60's/70's speaker system ever made.

i ditched that method of fastening on these SP-2000s, in favor of a set of self-adhesive VELCRO pads, as can be seen in this photo.
also, the cabinets cleaned up rather nicely, as you can see, with much of their original luster quite intact;