Marantz PMD-430 Record Speed Too Fast?!

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Well it records at a higher speed than it plays back and there's only one pot for motor speed. Already been thru the service/users manuals

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Doesn’t this have pitch control for playback? Maybe check that pot to be sure it’s working right and then reset the internal pot for motor speed.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Pitch control is at the center detent, playback speed is correct there. Activation of the motor should be the same for record and play (same micro switch). I dunno I'll have a look at the motor control board when I get home.

I'll also see if the pitch control works during recording. Maybe the pitch control is bypassed during recording and there is a hidden speed control problem.

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It may be at the detent, I don’t dispute that. Just wondering if the resistive value of the pot at the detent is where it should be.

I presume, like me, you never use that function. On the Tascam there is a bypass switch over the pot, which removes it from the circuit (I assume). I’m guessing that center detent pot is always in the circuit. I’d give it a cleaning at least.

My Kenwood DD turntable wouldn’t stabilize at speed. The root was discovered to be speed adjustment pot was dirty...

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Stolen from Audiokarma:

tapetech, Nov 15, 2019
With deck off, put ohm meter across pins 4 and 5 of WM03 connector on the motor board.

Measure ohms in both play mode and record mode with deck OFF. Adjust top panel pitch control until you get the same reading in play and record. Keep pot in that position

This will get you the same speed in play and record.

You will need to re-cal absolute speed. Do this by playing a 3KHz speed tape and adjust RM05 for 3K on the line output.​

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/marantz-pmd-430-record-play-speed-issue.891063/
It did work but I'll have to reset the internal pot. One step closer!​

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
There is a difference of load on the power supply from play to record as the record electronics and oscillator take more current. Maybe the motor or power going to it is marginal. Check changes in voltage at motor- these are voltage regulated motors and they can drift with temp or voltage fluctuations.