Looking to upgrade to horns

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Oh Sheiit yeah you’re gonna have to relive that... look at the spec chart that came with the drivers. I think the have 10mmor 12mm xMax excursion, they will hit that for sure. Glad to hear they made some noise though, I’m quite happy with the low response from my build. It was lacking those real deep frequencies and now even at quiet listening levels you really hear a nice kick drum and those DEEEEEEEEP bass notes! ITS TIME TO KICK ASS AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM! But I’m all outta gum...
I don't have that info with any of the paperwork they sent with my woofers only TS values is all I got for specs.... I agree these things put out incredible deep bass, they will be even better once final assembly is done right now I only have 4 bolts holding the woofer in and 6 bolts on the back cover and it is sitting up on a work table, so when everything is bolted in securely and they sit on the floor.....

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
I don't have that info with any of the paperwork they sent with my woofers only TS values is all I got for specs.... I agree these things put out incredible deep bass, they will be even better once final assembly is done right now I only have 4 bolts holding the woofer in and 6 bolts on the back cover and it is sitting up on a work table, so when everything is bolted in securely and they sit on the floor.....
Hmm I’m not home to look at my paperwork. I would say you need at least a good 1/2” there to be safe. You don’t want to break the cone or rub through the surround obviously. Can you space the woofer back 1/2” with a spacer ring or relieve the back of the board 1/2”?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Hmm I’m not home to look at my paperwork. I would say you need at least a good 1/2” there to be safe. You don’t want to break the cone or rub through the surround obviously. Can you space the woofer back 1/2” with a spacer ring or relieve the back of the board 1/2”?
I found it it was not on the build chart I had out in the shop it was on the other paper that came with them (the brochure one) it says 7.3mm so that is about 3/8".... here is my fix I did up today, made a spacer out of 1/2" MDF
bs38.JPG

Here is spacer set in cab, just need to do the mount holes now
bs39.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Well work is done on these till next spring I have a bunch of other things that need to be done for the coming winter but after I put that 1/2 mfd spacer in I monted the woofer back in and the soruond now clears the cab so that is all good. Next spring when I open the shop back up it will just be finish work and final assembly to finish these subs off....

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
No shop all winter? I would go nuts. It looks like I will be taking the winter off from work, probably spend more time out there than in the house! Can’t wait to see these all finished and hear your thoughts after some listening time. What are you using as a crossover? Passive or active?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
No shop all winter? I would go nuts. It looks like I will be taking the winter off from work, probably spend more time out there than in the house! Can’t wait to see these all finished and hear your thoughts after some listening time. What are you using as a crossover? Passive or active?
I'm using a DBX 234 for crossover.... It is just to expensive to heat that shop during the winter, I go out now and then and fire the wood stove up but yea drives me nuts not being able to go out everyday. The finish work should go pretty fast once I get back on them I have most everything ready to go. I am actually running one of them now but it is not fully buttoned up, only 4 bolts holding the woofer in and only about a dozen bolts holding the back cover on.... I am testing the port length and think I have it. My house is about 60 feet from the shop and wife says windows in the house rattle. All I know is when I crank it even with just one of these they make me smile ear to ear!!! lol

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Tried to get a pic of the spacer to show clearance of surround to baffle, then a pic of the port with a screen I made to keep mice out of the cabs, I used the rims from the port end I cut, and a pic of one of the cabs sitting next to a 816...
bs40.JPG bs41.JPG bs42.JPG bs43.JPG

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Good idea with the screen. I’ve never had a mouse but I did find a long dead and dried up bird in one cabinet back when the stereo was in my dads shop. Bugger got in, couldn’t get out.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Good idea with the screen. I’ve never had a mouse but I did find a long dead and dried up bird in one cabinet back when the stereo was in my dads shop. Bugger got in, couldn’t get out.
On the second floor of my shop I have a commercial type pool table from a bar it has the ramps for the balls to roll down to the hopper, well one day a few years back I shot a ball into a side pocket and the ball started to roll but stopped I put another ball down the same pocket and nothing, crawled up under the table and saw a mouse had built a nest right in the track the balls use to roll down. I have a cat now that lives in the shop so mice problem seems fixed but just to be safe I put the screens on...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Just had a speaker fail. Moderate listening, max per speaker in my current set up is 400w. 1 of 8 went open. Hope their warranty/customer service is up for a replacement. Otherwise happy.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Just had a speaker fail. Moderate listening, max per speaker in my current set up is 400w. 1 of 8 went open. Hope their warranty/customer service is up for a replacement. Otherwise happy.
Hmmm I just have one connected as of now for testing cab/port design, I had hammered the crap out of it after I made the spacer for it about a month ago and moderate use since, so far so good on it. The other one is sitting in the other cab, I painted the dust cover black on it but have not hooked it up yet but it looks good... please let me know how customer sevice goes with them but sucks you have to pull it out of cab then will have to pack and ship

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Internal voice coil open or maybe a pigtail that has broken?
Mechanically locked, VC ok tested 7.2 ohm. I thought at first it went open, but the coil tested ok on closer inspection.

Rockville replaced it after a polite conversation detailing the failure. No complaints with their support, i was only out the time it took to have them ship a replacement.

They didn’t ask for it shipped back, only destroyed with pics. They Told me “it can be damaged easily with household items”... I figured that wouldn’t do...

The second speaker pictured was one damaged in shipping, which they also made good on. Again, I have no complaints with their support. I did stress that shippers aren’t gentle and perhaps their packaging should take that into account though.

Note to Rockville engineering dept: your speakers cannot support a 1/2 ton...

Attachments

Last edited:

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Mechanically locked, VC ok tested 7.2 ohm. I thought at first it went open, but the coil tested ok on closer inspection.

Rockville replaced it after a polite conversation detailing the failure. No complaints with their support, i was only out the time it took to have them ship a replacement.

They didn’t ask for it shipped back, only destroyed with pics. They Told me “it can be damaged easily with household items”... I figured that wouldn’t do...

The second speaker pictured was one damaged in shipping, which they also made good on. Again, I have no complaints with their support. I did stress that shippers aren’t gentle and perhaps their packaging should take that into account though.

Note to Rockville engineering dept: your speakers cannot support a 1/2 ton...
Good to know they stand behind their product .....