Looking to upgrade to horns

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
The Jensen name carried on . I think the parent company was namsung or something like that. They had Dual, Jensen, Advent, NHt, Phase Linear, AR,
Audiovox and more.
SICA Altoparlanti, an Italian speaker manufacturer in Italy is re-manufacturing the vintage Jensen musical instrument speakers that were popular in the 60's.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Dang! You are a man on a mission!
yea I am..... got those sweet speaker cabs sitting in my shop now went to Bangor to pick them up... they look very cool I will restore them a bit and put some woofers in them

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
What woofs are called for in those cabs??
All the info is here on them but I am thinking of putting these in them.... woofer and then build sub cabs to put under these cabs with my HF horns just sitting on top... am I a mad scientist or you think possible?? they guy I got them from had JBL 2226J for them.....

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Never know till ya try......as far as selecting woofs go, I know there are certain parameters that are compatible with certain cabinets, but I'm the wrong guy to tell ya what those are..

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Got some work started on the cabs, the baffle and sides of the throat in one cab were loose, old glue was failing so I removed them and will glue them in proper, the baffle on the other was also a bit loose will do that one as well, refurbed the handles a bit..... all the trim, corners, and handles had phipips screws holding them on 120 screws per cab and all the slots on the screws were packed with some sort of hard crap so had to use small jeweler screwdrivers to dig the crap out of the screw slots to get them out with the screw driver, that was pretty tedious but glad that is done

the baffle came out with one of the baffle braces
r5.JPG
working the throat sides out
r7.JPG
got all the loose pieces out
r9.JPG
handles were pretty beat looking
r1.JPG
they look a little better now
h2.JPG
the other cab got the baffle out
r12.JPG
those HF horns will look good on top... so far the cat approves
r2.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Cabs are coming along got the baffel supports back in and the throat sides back in and reinforced all the cab seams with epoxy, also picked up a 3 way crossover to use with these....
cor.JPG r20.JPG r19.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Cab restore is coming along, got them in prime and sprayed undercoat inside on the throat sides, also picked up a small crown 30W amp to drive the horns...
r24.JPG
r22.JPG r26.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Do you have a pair of crossovers for those bins or will create LF and HF filters and bi-amp the drivers?
I can recommend the JBL 3110, and here is a pair:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-3110-C...826341?hash=item3b31a2d8a5:g:ALQAAOSwhdxc4G8Z
I have a DBX stereo 3 way active crossover I will use, I plan to use a crown D45 amp to power the horns, my WOPL 400 to drive the 15" bass/mids that will be in these 816 cabs I will be doing 18" subs that will be in cabs under the 816 cab, for now I plan on disconnecting the mids and tweeters in my existing speakers and just run the 18" woofers in those cabs as subs powered by my stock PL 400, the stock 400 is on it's last legs it is starting to hum so I plan to pick up a pro high power amp for the subs down the road.... that JBL crossover looks like a good deal, when I started down this road I was just going to upgrade my existing set up but then thought I would build some model 19 replicas, I was going to build modified model 19 passive crossover for those but then these cabs came up and I knew I had to have them so here we are! lol
xovvea.jpg

these are the 15" woofers I will be using in the altec cabs....
ooff.jpg
ooof.jpg

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I've got to say; I'm more impressed with every update. Already wishing I was close enough for a listen!

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Those Eminence speakers might be able to handle a WOPL 400, but I would not risk those sweet 18's on a non-WOPL 400. It may fry even the venerable 18's.